Chapter 1: I am Nothing

Darkness invaded her senses and swept at her emotions. She kept her eyes clenched shut as she felt the blood trickle down her hand. Taking a breath and steeling herself she opens her eyes but she isn't prepared and will never be prepared. Her gaze rises and she meets gun-metal gray eyes. She clutches at the jagged piece of glass in her hand to reassure herself, to remember. His lips rise into a smirk as he takes a step forward. She shudders in fear or anger but she doesn't know which. His steps are slow and stalking as he stops in front of her. A knife glitters in his hand as he raises it above him. She waits, her eyes not leaving his. As it starts to descend she plunges forward stabbing him deeply in the abdomen. His smirk fades as she yanks the glass to the side then rips it out. His mouth opens and he speaks as he collapses to the ground.

"But, how?" She kneels at his side her face grim as she meets his eyes.

"Because, Lucius, I have never and will NEVER be your slave. I am who I am. I told you not to hit me. I told you to stop. I told you that you would regret it. I told you to let me go and you refused. You insisted you could break me." Her hands tremble as she tries to drop the piece of glass in her fist but she cannot. "And so you have Lucius. So you have. NOW I'm broken and there is nothing that you or anyone else can do to change what I have done." His eyes flash triumph before the light fades. She watches while he breathes his last and then allows the glass to slide from her hand.

Her legs tremble as she stands and struggles not to fall back down. She wipes the blood on her tattered shirt as the doors to the room fly open. She blinks at the two men standing in the doorway but says nothing. There is nothing to say. They stare at her in horror as she calmly stoops down and picks up her piece of glass, her talisman and walks past the two men. She pauses as she passes them and looks to the one on the right. His eyes the same gray color as his brother on the floor. Her words are strong and there is a bite to them as she speaks.

"You said I could trust him Lore. You said he was safe and I believed you and I went. Now your brother is dead and I am broken." He starts to speak but she shakes her head not wanting to hear. Her hands clutches at the piece of glass in her hand and she ignores the bite of pain as she drips blood on the floor. "NO! I won't hear anymore lies. If you need me I'll be at the police station. Hopefully they'll give me the death sentence, it's nothing less than I deserve because he wins. He always wanted to win and now he has. I am nothing and I never will be and it's my own fault." With that she walked away. Her clothes in tatters, her body battered, and death in her hands.

TWO DAYS LATER LEA POV

I stare blankly at the two officers in front of me as I struggle not to scream in frustration. Their eyes are kind even though two days ago I killed a man. And now this. I keep the screams inside because I can't seem to let them out or anything else for that matter. Ever since I came in and confessed to killing Lucius I haven't been able to speak. I write everything down but all I hear is the screaming in my head. The female officer reaches out and taps the table to get my attention. They do not want to touch me. I lash out if I'm touched now. I hurt people if I'm touched now.

"Lea, this isn't your fault. We went over the crime scene. We saw how you were. You did what had to be done. Your free to go. Your family is here to take you home." I jerk back at that and meet the female officers eyes as I shake my head and stand. I stop in front of the door waiting for them to open it. The male officer opens the door as the female starts to place her hand on my shoulder, hovering inches from it, just stopping herself as I tense and struggle to breath. She pulls her hand away and speaks.

"Lea you need you see someone. You need to talk about this." I look at her and she flinches at the dead look that I know is there in my eyes. Then I walk out of the room and to the entrance of the police station where THEY are. My mother, father and six overbearing brothers. They all rush forward but I hold up my hand and they stop. I reach out and pull Mal's cell from his pocket and quickly type on it then hand it to them. I hear their gasps as I step out the door but I don't stop and they don't follow. Guilt holds them in place and I can feel their sorrow beating at me as I walk down the street. The words of the text echo through my mind and I know that I was to harsh with them but I don't care. They hadn't known who I had killed. The police had kept it out of the media. I had killed my brothers' best friend. I had killed their Alpha. I was now walking death anyway. The text had said this: