Chapter 13: Whoever said it was going to be easy needs their a$$ kicked

LEA POV

I dream of pain and sweet kisses. Of screams and soft whispers. Then ice cold water soaks my skin. Screaming I jerk my eyes open to see I'm in the lake. Duke and Lore look frantic as they stand on either side of me as I clutch at Mal's shirt. Pain wracks my body as I look up at him.

"What's happening?" Water drips down his face as he frowns at me.

"Shift Lea." I scowl as my body shakes.

"How Mal? Who do you want me to kill?" He shakes his head, his eyes somber as he speaks.

"It's too late for that you have to force her. Find your happy place and use it to pull her to the surface. My happy place? Really? This isn't fucking 'Peter Pan'. I don't have a happy place...ohhh. I glance at Duke then Lore as I let go of Mal's shirt. I hold my hands out.

"Duke, Lore." I beckon them closer and they both grab one side of me and press against me. I think back on all the things I've done. I think about who and what I am as I breathe deep then I realize something. Smiling I open my eyes as I feel myself start to shift.

"I love you Duke. I love you Lore." Then they set me down and I shift into my bear and I didn't kill or fight anyone.

........................

Two months later

Groaning in frustration I lay my head down and bang it on the desk. When I sit back up the numbers haven't changed and I still have no clue if the clan's financial records are right. And I thought balancing a check book was a pain in the ass. This is ridiculous. My men and I were doing strong and I could shift whenever I wanted. But the problems were killing me. Lex had went after Ash and after failing to get her he had disappeared. Conner and I both had people out but we are both distracted. When I talked to him yesterday he'd sounded happy but confused. He'd said he'd gotten Liam back and that Conlan and him were out looking for Ash. The children of my clan were set to start school at Haven this week. Not to mention that my clan was divided on my new mates. I'd had to break up several fights that my brothers started to defend my honor.

"Lea?" I look up from the books to see Duke leaning against the door jam smirking at me. I brush my hair of my face as he straightens and walks over to my desk. I watch as he places his palms on the desk and leans down to look me in the eyes. He leans a little closer and I shiver when his breath blows on my face. He smells like butterscotch. I lick my lips as he leans in to slide his tongue over the rim of my ear.

"I don't think the numbers are going to change sweetness. But maybe this will help." Then his lips are pressing into mine and my eyes roll back in my head as he thrusts his tongue into my mouth. I moan and raise my hands to bury them in his hair. Our tongues are fighting for dominance when he grunts and presses his lips closer to mine. I smell chocolate and open my eyes to see Lore pressed against Duke's back and his hand is...

"Really?" We all pull apart to see the bane of my existence in the doorway. That bitch Gerra, from the meeting had been a pain in my ass sense the meeting. She's been pushing me and setting members of the clan against me. If she said one more thing... "So I see our Alpha's have a shiny new toy but what about the rest of us? I want to play with the toy too." I growl and meet Lore and Duke's eyes as they both straighten and nod. I stand and walk around the desk so I'm standing in front of Gerra. She starts to say something else but I backhand her hard enough to jerk her head to the side. Blood trickles down the corner of her mouth as I grab her arm and yank her from the room. I drag her to the gym as I open the bond to the clan.

"Clan meeting NOW. NO BABES. ADULTS ONLY." I throw her to the gym floor as the clan pours into the room. After everyone gets here I speak.