Chapter Four

I had spent hours researching. It was odd to feel so dedicated and motivated to find out what these 'people' could be. I've narrowed it down to three things: zombies, werewolves, or vampires.

They all equally have violent actions. Their killings tend to be bloody and messy, quite like the murders here. Werewolves are kind of the lesser choice mainly because the bodies are typically shredded.

"I'm going out!" I yell throughout the house, gathering the papers I've printed out.

"Okay, be back soon though!" Jenna yells back.

The drive is fairly short. Small town and whatnot, but the whole time my knuckles are white from clenching the steering wheel aggressively. I'm sleep-deprived and about to accuse people of being...supernatural.

    Oh my god I'm going to make a fool of myself.

    But, I'm sleep-deprived. While I shouldn't be driving, I am feeling a little manic.

I finally get to the Salvatore Boarding House. After running up the steps, I pull the rope aka the doorbell which is still awesome by the way, and await.

Stefan answers the door. His brows raise at the sight of me. "Hey, Gabby. I wasn't expecting—"

I interrupt him by shoving my printed papers into his hands. "Which one?" I snap.

"What are you—?"

"Which one?" I repeat, pointing to the papers. He sighs, flipping through the headlines of each one. "I'm confused, sleep-deprived, and in desperate need of answers."

He scoffs. "Vampires? Werewolves? Zombies? Gabby, are you okay?" Stefan argues. Give it up.

"Fine," I challenge. I pull out a tiny pocket knife I have and make a thin cut on my palm revealing blood.

I stare in wonder as his eyes turn red. The veins beneath them crackle slightly as they appear. He quickly turns away, his breathing loud as he attempts to control it.

"Vampire," I whisper, almost amazed because this should not be happening. I should be getting bullied right now. "Does Elena know?"

"Soon. I promise," Stefan sighs.

Damon comes down the stairs with an annoying smirk on his face like always. "Hello, Gabriella," he greets.

"Can it, Dracula!" I snap.

"I hear Stefan's telling the family secrets," He states, looking at his brother, still smirking.

    "Fix it," Stefan commands, shooting Damon a glare.

    "Why should I?" Damon snatches the "research" from Stefan's hand. He raises his brows at the lore before nodding his head. "I think it's fun she knows."

"Why do I keep doing what you say?" I demand. "Nothing tells me about the weird mind trick." I point to the papers in his hand

Damon laughs. "Where online did you find this?" He tosses the papers back. "It's called compulsion. I can get into your head unless..." Damon starts.

"Unless what?" I ask.

"Unless you have vervain," Stefan finishes, still glaring at Damon.

    Stefan hands me a tiny bag with a black bracelet in it. I pull out the bracelet, pulling it over my wrist.

"This is?" I question.

"A vervain bracelet. Hurts us, protects you," Stefan explains.

"I assume it hurts when you touch it?"