Chapter Forty - One

Edited

My eyes widen at the cold touch on my forehead. Elena looks down at me, frantically silencing me by putting a finger to her lips.

I frown as she gestures me to follow her. I gesture to the arm wrapped around my waist, making her roll her eyes. She gently places my shirt and shorts in front of me.

Hurry up she mouthes to me before pointing downstairs. She slowly steps away, leaving me to deal with this alone.

I gently lift his arm to allow some space for me to escape through. He lets out a groan, but doesn't do or say anything else.

It takes a couple of moments, but I'm finally free of Damon's grip before I quickly, yet quietly, put my shirt and shorts on.

I slowly walk down the stairs to stop any of the creaking that may happen. My brows furrow at the sight of the opened dungeon door. I almost let out a yelp as something speeds out of there and through the front door.

Elena runs up the stairs with wide eyes. I look down at the familiar dagger in her hand before giving her a certain look. She didn't... but everything else tells me she did.

I can't help but smirk. She puts a finger to her lips before beckoning me to follow her to the front door.

I nod and pretend to zip my lips. We both walk to the opened front door where Elijah is currently kneeling and struggling to take deep breaths.

He tries to charge at us but runs into the invisible barrier of the door. His clothes are shredded and burnt due to us trying to kill him, but they cover enough of him.

"What happened?" He breathes out with a glare.

We motion him to be quiet and that Stefan and Damon are still sleeping.

"Not here," Elena whispers softly. "Can we trust you?"

"Can I trust you?" Elijah retorts, repeating Elena's words.

Elena looks around and hands Elijah the thing that can temporarily kill him. He cautiously takes it, making sure it isn't another trap.

When he does, I can't help but smile.

-----------

    Elijah sits in the back seat, sipping the last few drops of the twentieth blood bag. "You look better." I observe, looking back at him. His color, or what little he has, returned not too long ago.

    "Where did you get the dagger?" Elijah asks, cutting to the chase and ignoring my small talk.

    "I'll tell you everything," Elena offers, "But we have to work together, Elijah. We need your word." She parks her car beside the Lockwood Mansion.

    "Your ability to make demands has long passed." Elijah replies with a stoic expression.

    "No demands," Elena says, shaking her head. "I'm offering you my help. In return, we want yours."

    "Why should I even consider this?" Elijah asks, slightly bored now.

    "The same reason you haven't killed me. You need our help to kill Klaus. We need you."

    Elena's cellphone vibrates. She sighs before putting the phone to her ear to answer it. I take the time to turn around in my seat and observe Elijah.

    "What's it like to be dead?" I ask, trying to make small talk. He shoots me a glare that makes me roll my eyes. "Aw, come on, man. We're friends."