Chapter Thirty - Seven

Edited

    I cover my ears, tears falling down my cheeks as I attempt to block out the shrill scream.

    I open my eyes, trying to see through the blurred vision created by my tears. I frown as my vision begins to clear. Elena?

    Elena continues screaming as the silhouette behind her buries its head against her neck.

    "Elena?" I call out. She opens her eyes, both red from her own tears. The silhouette pulls away in time for Elena to drop to the ground.

    "Elena!" a voice cries out. I look over at the source, only to see a young child standing in confusion. No, she shouldn't see this. No child should see this.

    I rush over to the child in an attempt to usher her away. Tears continue to fall down my cheeks as I bend down to the kid's level. "Hey," I greet, making her face me. My eyes widen at her, no, my younger face.

    My younger self, maybe eight or nine, grips my wrist tightly. "She has to die." my younger self whispers.

    "What?" I whisper, trying to pull my wrist free.

    "Elena has to die," she repeats, "So do you, Gabriella. Everyone you know and love is going to die." She then smirks at me. "It's your turn."

    As if on cue, the figure that just killed my sister spins to face me. My younger self doesn't let go of my wrist as I attempt to get away.

    "Let go!" I plead to my younger self. I try to pull myself free again, but she doesn't let go. "Please!"

"You have to die," she whispers just as sharp pain shoots through my neck. I try to scream, but my voice is muffled by the blood rising in my throat.

My eyes widen as I wake up. My heart beats loudly in my chest, and fast. I put my hand on my chest, trying to calm myself as I sit up.

Who was that? I think to myself. Was I dreaming of Klaus killing Elena and me?

    I let out a calming breath, it sounding a little shaky. It's fine. It was just a dream. Something gently touches my wrist, making me pull away immediately. My eyes widen at the random touch.

    Oh. It's just Damon. He raises his brow at me in confusion. "Are you okay?"

    I nod my head before forcing a small smile. "Yeah, bad dream."

"You wanna talk about it?"

"No," I admit, "but I will." He sits up, allowing me to lean against him. "It wasn't anything too scary," I try to dismiss, "Elena died, I almost died, no biggie."

    "That doesn't sound unimportant."

    "It is though," I argue before tilting my head to look up at him. "Because we'll stop Klaus before he can kill Elena and I."

    I wince as Damon starts combing my hair with his fingers, it being unexpected. He uses his other hand to rub my upper arm, making me smile.

I try not to laugh as Damon struggles to finger-comb my hair. "It's so...tangled," he mumbles, "Do you not brush it?"

"I can't," I argue before rolling my eyes. "Curly hair doesn't work like that."

"Why not?"