Chapter Forty - Two

Edited

I don't want to be here, but my personal problems can not get in the way of what's important. Damon should be sleeping in his bed right now, that's why Elijah, Elena, Stefan, and I are having this conversation in the living room.

"Tonight is the full moon," Elijah starts, making me let out a nervous breath. "We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Elena said that the sun and the moon curse is fake?" Stefan questions for clarification. Elijah nods. "That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline," Elijah explains. "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it...he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon snaps as he entered the room. Apparently, he's still annoyed that everyone but him trusts Elijah. "We can kill him today, with Bonnie."

Damon avoids eyes contact with me: I avoid looking in his freakin gorgeous eyes as well. "No," Elena snaps, "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

    "I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon dismisses, obviously not caring if she dies.

    "It's not an option, Damon," I say aloud, agreeing with Elena. We need Bonnie for later, that way none of us will die...probably. Damon eyes me, but says nothing else.

"All right," Stefan chimes, "how do we break the curse?"

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know," Elijah explains.

"The moonstone," Stefan starts.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"Where do we fit in?" I ask Elijah with crossed arms. I can feel Damon staring at me every time I speak but I don't give him the satisfaction of turning around.

"The final part of the ritual," Elijah explains, "Klaus must drink the blood of the Doppelgänger...to the point of death. But since there are two of you, we won't know for sure what will happen to the other."

"It's going to be you," Klaus's words ring in my head. I'm gonna be a vampire. I look over at Elena who is looking up at Elijah.

"That's where you come in."

Elijah opens the box on a table beside him before pulling out a glass bottle. "This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It posses mystical properties of resuscitation." He eyes us both. "There's only enough for one of you."

"Elena," I immediately chime. "Klaus told me something about me being the vampire. I believe that."

Elena furrows her brows and now I can feel everyone's eyes on me. "When was this?"

"Yesterday," I admit, "after I left you and Elijah." I look up at Elijah. "The elixir is going to be for Elena."

Elena was about to argue but Elijah's nod cuts her off. "Klaus usually does not lie about things as important as this," Elijah explains.

She sighs, still not liking the idea of taking the chance. "So...I'll be dead?"

"And then you won't."

"That's your plan?" Damon asks incredulously. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date? You want to come back to life? Use John's ring."