Chapter Nine

Edited

The three of us enter school grounds, Caroline acting extremely grumpy.

"Have you even tried talking to Bonnie?" I ask Caroline.

"Nope and I won't either. She has to make the first move," Caroline states stubbornly. I don't even know why she's mad at Bonnie. It's not like Bonnie's 'dangerous' or whatever.

"Maybe you should try to be the bigger person?" Elena suggests. As if Caroline would do that, ha! Believe it or not, Caroline's got at least a little pride.

"Impossible in her presence." She glares ahead.

"Why are you pissed at her anyway?" I ask, slightly amused by her behavior.

"She's a thief, that's why. I gave her my necklace and she refuses to give it back to me!" Caroline answers, looking at me. "It's a matter of principle. " She looks back forward.

"Alright. Well, we tried." Elena shrugs.

"Your turn." Caroline says talking to Elena. "Where's Stefan? Are you talking to him?"

"He's avoiding me," Elena answers vaguely. I wonder why I sarcastically thought.

    "Why?" Caroline pushes.

"It's complicated," I answer for Elena. She gives me an appreciative smile. The bell rings informing us that we have to get to class. We've got a new history teacher. Before we could tell Caroline goodbye, she starts walking off to her class.

    "About the other night—" Elena starts but I interrupt.

    "I don't think now's the best time to discuss this," I interrupt. I can't believe she's actually doing this now.

    "I just want to say—" she starts.

    "What? That he's a monster? That he only cares about himself? I think I know that by now, Lena."

    She sighs. "I just don't want you getting hurt. At the party the other night, you got pretty close. And I know you were tipsy, but even tipsy you wouldn't go to someone that dangerous. You're not becoming his friend or anything, right?"

    "We're acquaintances," I automatically answer, not having put much thought to it. "Even tipsy me makes mistakes. After last night, I don't want to make that mistake again."

    Elena gives a small smile, satisfied by my answer. "What did you two talk about?"

    I take a second to think. What did we talk about. There was Elena, Jeremy, me getting a drink...the kiss. Well shit.

    "I'm pretty sure he told me he didn't compel Jeremy to study. And I asked for another drink since I couldn't get my own," I answer. Technically it's the truth. I just evaded some of the answers. If Elena knew about the kiss she would flip her shit.

-------

    "Good morning, everyone!" A man greets walking into the classroom. He must be the new teacher. "Alrightie then." He starts writing his name on the board.

    He points to the board and pronounces his name. "Alaric Saltzman. I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origin." He starts explaining about the origin of his last name but I honestly don't care. I look over and see Elena looking at Bonnie. She must've said something to Bonnie because Bonnie just shrugs.