Chapter Six

"What are you?!" Elena demands a second time, but louder. It's silent for a few moments. I awkwardly watch the interaction from the couch.

"You know," Stefan sighs, lowering the stake.

"No, I don't—"

"Yes, you do," he interrupts. "Or else you wouldn't be here." He sighs. "Everything you believe in will change. Are you ready for that?"

"What are you?!" Elena demands once more.

"I'm a vampire," Stefan says. Well. That is not how I would expect him to tell her. Maybe in private would be better? Less blunt maybe? Oh well.

"Dun, dun, dun," I sing-song, attempting to lighten the situation. Stefan gives me a dirty look, forcing Elena to look past him at me.

    "Oh my god." Her eyes widen before she forced herself inside. I'm on my feet in time for her to bombard me with a tight hug. I have to step back to avoid tipping over. "Have you been here all day? I couldn't find you!"

Elena lets go and puts her arm out in front of me in defense mode, as if she's protecting me. I roll my eyes and place her arm next to her side.

"Elena, it's okay," I reassure, making her look back at me in surprise. She realizes I know about this. "Stefan's—"

"What did you do to her?" Elena demands from Stefan.

"Nothing—" I try to answer but she interrupts me again.

"What about Damon? Is he one as well?!" Stefan doesn't say anything, presumably waiting for her to calm down, but it seems to have the opposite affect. She's quick to grab me by the wrist before quickly pulling me past him.

Her pace picks up once we can see her car.

Stefan suddenly appears in front of us, making both of us jump in surprise. "Please let me explain," He begs, grabbing Elena's shoulders trying to calm her down but she screams and pulls me into the car. She gets in the driver's seat and starts driving super fast away from the house.

--------

I'm angrily forced into Elena's room. She tosses her jacket on the bed before spinning in her spot to shoot a glare at me.

I have my hands up in defense. "I was really hoping Stefan would tell you soon after I found out," I admit quickly because I can tell she's wanting an explanation. I can feel her anger and fear. It's almost overwhelming. "I was just trying to protect—"

"Protect me?! Gabby, if you were protecting me then you would've told me I was dating a vampire!" she hisses out the word. "He probably fed on those innocent people!" Well they weren't all innocent.

"Elena, stop!" I whisper-yell so Jeremy or Jenna don't try to intervene. "Stefan didn't do it!"

"She's right." Elena spins in her spot to face Stefan, who's standing beside her opened window. I'll admit, his sudden appearance scared me.

Elena starts panting, stepping back toward me as Stefan steps closer. "I would never hurt you or your family," Stefan continues. "Gabby's right, it wasn't me. It was Damon. I only drink animal blood—not human. I will explain everything later, but I'm begging you not to tell anyone."

"How could you ask that?" Elena whispers. She looks like she's about to cry.

"Because it would really suck for me to be the only one who knows," I answer bluntly. Stefan glares at me again and I raise my arms in surrender. Just trying to help, dude.