20

*a month later*

I laid on the couch, cuddling Sadie and watching Friends while Joe was at practice.

There was a rushed knock on my door before the person decided to barge in.

"Ella! We need you at practice! Joe is really hurt!" George Kontos yelled, the panic clear in his eyes.

"Shit." I jumped off the couch and slipped my feet into flip flops before running out to George's car, him following close behind.

I held my head in my hands, taking deep breaths while I tried not to cry. I had no idea how hurt he was. We finally arrived to AT&T Park and I sprinted to the gates, weaving through the chairs to get to the clubhouse.

I got down there, ignoring all the boys and ran through, pushing open the doors to get to the dugout.

I jogged quickly up the steps and looked out by second base to see Joe laying there with Crawford, Belt, Posey, Susac and Pence standing around him.

I ran over there and squeezed through them to see Joe standing there.

"Oh my god." I said barely above a whisper. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my head in the crook of his neck.

"I thought you were really hurt." I whispered, feeling him wrap his arms around my back.

"I'm ok baby. I'm ok. But there is something we need to talk about." I took a step back away from him, the uneasy feeling in my stomach growing.

Some of the guys pulled out their phone, small smiles playing on their faces.

"Joe, what's going on?" I asked.

"Ella, you know how much I love you, right?"

"Yes.."

He grabbed my hands and held them in his sweatshirt pockets.

"Ella, you are so beautiful. I love everything about you. From the baby hairs on your head to the stretch marks on your hips to your little tiny baby feet."

Some of the guys laughed at that and I shook me head.

"Anyways, you are my world. You keep me grounded and have always been there for me. You're the reason I'm successful at what I do, encouraging me from day one.

"What I'm trying to say is that I love you. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

I pulled my hands out of his pockets and covered my mouth, small tears forming in my eyes.

"So, Ella, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

"Yes of course baby!" I yelled, jumping into his arms.

"I love you so much baby girl." He said and I smiled into his shoulder.

"I love you more than you could ever imagine." I said and I leaned back, placing a small kiss on his lips.

I turned my head and saw George standing there with a smile on his face.

"Wait, give me a moment." I said, holding a finger up to Joe and walking over to George.

"Why," I punched his shoulder. "Oh earth would you tell me he was really hurt?"

"First off, ow!" He rubbed his shoulder. "And second, Joe told me to make up a reason to get you here."

"A simple 'hey Ella, Joe wants you at the field' wouldn't work?" I asked.

"No." He said, a smile creeping onto his face.

I shook my head before walking back over to Joe, who gladly pulled me into his chest.

"I can't wait until the day when I can call you Mrs. Joseph Matthew Panik."

"I can't wait until that day either." I whispered, smiling to myself.