Chapter Five

I grabbed my camera on my way out the door. "I'll be back!" I yelled from the door.

"Alright, Zay," Ms. Frankie yelled back.

I had an assignment for photography to go to. Mal and I had to take a few pics at a park in Anaheim for the city mayor. He graduated from Perkins years ago, so the school feels like they should put this in the school's newspaper and the website. We basically had to take pictures of everyone as they worked hard on tearing the park down, getting ready for the new playground equipment. It was pretty cool, to be honest. Everyone there was really friendly and loved what the mayor was doing with the place.

"Our job here is done," Mal stated. "I got shots of the Mayor and all the important people. I think we're good to go."

"Cool," I closed my camera and began rummaging through my purse for my bus ticket.

"Are you busy, Eliza? Do you have any more plans for the day?" Mal asked.

I paused, shocked that he was asking me this. "Umm, no. I'm free after this," I answered slowly. "Why? What's up?"

"I was wondering if you'd like to go to Red Cup. Have you ever been there?" He stood in front of me, rubbing the back of his neck due to nervousness.

Red Cup is a frozen yogurt place. I shook my head no in response. "I'm lactose intolerant."

"They just started selling fruit sorbets now," he answered quickly. "It's pretty cool; I tasted it."

"Well.." I began.

"I'll pay," he insisted. Not taking no for an answer.

"Sure, I guess." I shrugged. Can't turn down an opportunity for free food.

We left the park and I followed him to a parking garage. We took an elevator to the third level, and he led me to a small black Lexus. Once we got settled in the car, he turned the radio on.

"Any suggestions? You like a certain station?"

I shook my head. "I barely listen to the radio. I don't know what plays on any of the stations."

He turned the nob, in search of a good radio station. "Now watch me whip. Now watch me nae nae!" He sang along with the music, turning it up and doing the dances. I couldn't help but laugh at how silly he was being. Once the song ended, he hooked his phone up to the auxiliary cord and began playing music. He had really nice taste in music. He played various songs by Goodie Mob, Arrested Development and OutKast. Sporadically (like how I used that big word? *winks*), a song by Janelle Monáe or Erykah Badu would come on. I really enjoyed his music taste. Of course I sang along to every OutKast song that played.

*

"When did you get into photography?" Mal asked as I took in a spoonful of my island mango sorbet.

"My freshman year. I did it because I felt like photos are like memories, and memories last forever. I've lost a lot of memories, so I wanted to create new ones by taking pictures."

He nodded attentively. "That's what's up. Photography was something my dad did growing up. I had seen his shots from when he was in school, and it made me want to do it. I look up to that man so much." He smiled at me as he spoke with such passion. "What else do you do?"

"Well.." I began to think, but nothing came to mind. "I don't know." I giggled and shook my head. "I don't really know what else I do. I guess I sing a bit, but ehh.." I trailed off.

"That's cool. I try to sing, but it ain't my specialty." He laughed.

We continued to talk for about an hour as we sat in the small booth. We jumped from many topics including school, college, photography, music, and everything else user the sun. It was really cool talking to him and he seemed to enjoy talking to me as well. He was really nice.