Chapter Eight

"Okay. I'll see you later, Sam." I said on my way out the building. The studio was only a couple blocks away, so I decided to walk there. Once I arrived, Kendrick greeted me in the lobby and I followed him to where he was recording. It was a small, dark room with two sofas and a couple chairs where the soundboard was. The only other person there was a producer guy who's name I never got.

"I saved some wings and fries for you." Kendrick handed me a box of lemon pepper wings and fries from Wing Stop and a can of strawberry fanta. "Don't spill the soda this time," he joked.

I rolled my eyes and giggled, "Thank you." I sat on the sofa near the corner of the small room and ate as Kendrick began to record a verse of his song.

"It seems like, you can't win for losing
Whatever you're doing turns out to be "what-are-you-doing?"
Sitting pursuing, but your time will soon come
Nobody knows the position that you in
But it's a million people out there that's going through the same thing
That feeling, hard to explain
When you just, just want to get away..."

As he recorded, I snapped a few pics of the studio room. I had really liked the way the room was decorated, so I took random shots.

Kendrick eventually finished the song and came out of the recording area. I placed the camera next to me as I finished eating my wings.

"Yo, man, my girl needs me like right now. It's an emergency. Imma have to leave," the producer guy told Kendrick. Kendrick excused him and then it was just him and I.

"You like it?"

"Of course," I answered, throwing my trash away.

"I don't think I'm going to put this song on my album." He sat in a swivel chair in front of the soundboard and moved in front of me after starting to play some music.

"Why not?"

"Won't fit in. It doesn't flow with the rest of the tape," he explained. We chilled and listened to the songs that he had finished so far for the album. It was about an hour later when he thanked me once again. "I just can't thank you enough."

"Kendrick, stop. I appreciate it, but this happened because of you. You're the one with the determination. You're the one with the talent. You deserve it all."

He smiled and nodded his head. "I still feel like I owe you, E."

"Just don't forget me when you get all famous," I joked.

"I ain't gon' ever forget you, E."

I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket, so I checked and saw that Mal was calling me. I sighed and ignored his call. He then sent a text asking me to stop by his house. I sighed to myself, once again, not really wanting to go see him. I wanted to stay and listen to Kendrick's music.

Eventually, I texted him back saying okay. "I gotta go, Kendrick."

"Oh, okay. Do you need a ride or anything?"

I shook my head. "I'm taking the bus." I really didn't want to take the bus, yet I didn't want Mal to know I was with Kendrick. But knowing Kendrick, he doesn't take no for an answer.

"It's getting dark, E. I'm not going to let you take the bus."

"Fine." I didn't even bother with arguing with him. "Can you drop me off by Mal's house?"

"I gotchu. It's time for me to get out of here anyway."

He shut everything off before leaving the room and checked out of the studio. After getting in the car, I explained to Kendrick where to drop me off.