Chapter 1

"Watch it," Harry snapped as Louis crashed into yet another innocent bystander at the club.

Drunkenly flailing about, Louis attempted to wrench his arm out of Harry's strong grip.

"But I want to dance," he whined.

They'd already been dancing for hours, or Louis had. Arriving at the club no later than eight, Harry had been supervising ever since, along with pitifully wondering how he'd gotten stuck with this job.

He groaned, because the boy was too drunk to function and he knew that getting back to their hotel in time would be his responsibility. Liam's words rang clear in his head.

"And if you're not home by eleven thirty at the absolute latest," he had stressed. "We will take off for LA without you. No excuses."

With a final tug, Louis was free of Harry's grasp. In the blink of an eye he had managed to disappear, yet again. They were already late, but Harry didn't really care, not anymore.

Three beers down and Harry was miserable. He was cranky and tired, and rather bored of watching his best friend grind on strangers in the mass of sweating, pulsating bodies. The club they were in was packed, but then again, they always were in New York City.

Harry's spirits lifted as he recalled the reason they were out in the first place: a sold out show at Madison Square Garden. Although this was hardly his idea of a celebration, a smile tugged at his lips and he downed the last drops of his drink.

"Hey, you," said the bartender. "Weren't you supposed to leave a while ago? Your friends are gone."

Harry looked up at the clock flashing above the lines of alcohol bottles.

"Shit," he spat quietly, slamming his bottle back down on to the counter. The clock blinked eleven fifty-two.

He sighed, at least Louis was heading back over. It wasn't the latest they'd stayed out, not at all, but Louis had been at this for hours. Knocking back shots and guzzling down beers were talents of his, especially on nights when they needed to get back by a certain time.

Taking care of Louis was Harry's designated job, while Liam was in charge of Niall when they went out. He had taken the blonde back earlier, knowing that if he had gotten one more drop of alcohol in him, there would be no getting him back at all.

Drunkenly, Louis stumbled over to Harry.

"Oof," he moaned as his elbow slipped from the counter. He had tried to lean on it, acting cool, but he was in no state of mind to do such a thing.

Smiling fondly, Harry steadied the boy. He stood up and let the smaller man lean into his warm body. It was impossible to stay mad at him, no matter how many times he got Harry in trouble.

"Hey Lou," he laughed. "Are you ready to go?"

Wrapping his stout arms around Harry's lean torso, Louis nodded tiredly. All of his charisma from earlier was fading.

"Oh, love," Harry said fondly. "You're smashed, let's get you back to the hotel. 'Sides, we're leaving for LA tonight."

Again, Louis nodded in agreement and Harry lead him out the front door of the club.
Harry's breath came out in warm clouds, looking like smoke in contrast to the crisp air outside. It was cold and late, Harry was ready to get to LA. Right now, nothing sounded more appealing than hot beaches and a fiery sun.

Eager to get away from the blinding lights and headache-causing music, Harry directed Louis down the street. Even though it was summer, water still sloshed down the roads and pooled at the corners. It reminded Harry of the weather at home.