Chapter 3

With a bang, the door of their newly rented car slammed shut. Still hungover, Louis winced at the loud noise he'd unintentionally created. To top it all off, Harry wouldn't stop nagging him about what he had packed.

Thudding footsteps had Louis nearly ripping his hair out in irritation; Harry just wouldn't stop pacing.

"Quit stressing!" Louis exclaimed. "We've already been shopping for everything we need."

Making sure they had all the necessary items, Harry had constructed a list of things for them to buy. Doing the actual shopping, however, had proven much more difficult.

Disguises were required, so they'd come up with two floppy sun hats and ridiculously large pairs of sunglasses. That had made the rest of their spree much easier. Nevertheless, a few recognized them. The two boys had luckily convinced them to keep their stay in New York on the down low.

Happily, Louis had popped some Advil and most of his groaning had conceded. To Harry's dismay, it wasn't quite all of it.

"Do we have absolutely everything we need?" Harry questioned again. The idea for the road trip had been his bout of irresponsibility, and now it was time for him to resume the role of taking care of Louis. Friends was a label, Harry felt more like Louis' mother than anything else.

Not just friendzoned, Louis was momzoned.

It was an awkward situation under the surface, with Louis hardcore crushing on Harry, and Harry feeling like more of a caretaker to Louis than a band mate, but it didn't matter to Louis as long as he got to spend time with the boy.

Sighing heavily, Louis bobbed his head up and down in irritation. "Yes, Harry. Jesus, for the millionth time, calm down. I swear, you will be the death of me," he answered in the most condescending tone he could muster. Placing his hand on his hip, he continued. "Your list literally had two things on it."

Harry's worrying had Louis on his last nerve. Sure, he was falling head over heels for him, but he would shout if he needed to.

By the rosy colour of his cheeks, Harry figured they weren't too far from an explosion

It was a relief to Harry when his fiery eyes calmed and his grimace turned into a smile of adoration.

Louis was admiring Harry, and Harry was admiring Louis.

The older boy loved the way Harry's curls looked when he hadn't put any effort into them, letting them dry freely from the shower.

Their cute, couple-y moment was ruined when Louis let out a snort of laughter.

"What?" Harry questioned, feeling a blush start to rise to chic cheeks.

"Remember that time," Louis laughed. "When you let Liam straighten your hair?"

Loosing his red cheeks and starting to giggle as well, Harry nodded. "Mind you," he said. "That'll never happen again."

"Doesn't matter," Louis smirked. "I took a picture."

"No," Harry protested disbelievingly.

"Oh, yes."

Pulling his phone out of his back pocket, Louis typed in his passcode: 4783. Harry made note of it so he could delete the photo later.

"Look how adorably awful you look!" Louis crooned, shoving his phone in Harry's face.

"Ew," he gagged, pushing the tan hand away. "That's enough, let's go."

Raising an eyebrow at Harry, Louis shut off his phone and put it in his pocket. "Feisty," he uttered.

Everyone - including the fans - were still under the impression that the boys were already in LA finishing up the new album and waiting for the big show. This left the boys with nothing to worry about, as long as they managed to stay invisible, which they had done, minus the sales clerk at American Eagle.

Now the boys had nothing to worry about for their trip, except, of course, staying invisible. They'd been pretty successful while using their disguises. Only one or two sales clerks had recognized them under the radical costumes.

Louis figured it was Harry's hair that was giving them away.

"Are you done interrogating me and my suitcase?" Louis asked, a whole lot less annoyed than he had been before.

"I was just checking!" Protested Harry. "Are you sure you have enough underwear?" He added meekly, afraid of Louis' reaction to his question. "'Cause, you know, that one time on tour when-"

"We do not need to talk about that," interrupted Louis grumpily.

He heaved an overdramatic sigh and turned on his heel, stomping to the passenger side door. Facing Harry, he shot him a pointed glare. He nodded his head towards the other side of the car, attempting to show Harry that he wanted him to drive without actually saying anything.

After a few seconds of Harry's blank stare, Louis was ready to give up on them being telepathically connected.

A look of realization came over Harry.

"You want me to drive?" He asked, figuring out that Louis was in fact not imitating a pigeon, but trying to tell him something. In the stressed out state that he was in, he wasn't sure it was totally safe for him to be behind the wheel.

"Yes, Harry. This trip was your idea," he said. As much as he loved the boy, his constant questioning was getting on Louis on edge again.

Both car doors slammed with a thud as the two boys piled in to their not-so-sweet ride. At least it has comfy seats, thought Louis as he sat back. And a stereo-

"Harry!" He shouted. "We forgot something!"

Harry's eyes widened in disbelief, he had been so sure his list was thorough, even if all it included was clothing and snacks - everything else was purchasable as they went. 

"You're kidding," he said, not believing Louis was serious. It wouldn't have surprised him at all if Louis was just pulling his leg.

"No way," he answered with a poker face. "What kind of road trip doesn't have a playlist?" Asked Louis as he whipped out his phone, typing out his passcode faster than Harry had ever seen someone do before. "We've got to get this sorted while we still have hotel wifi."

Harry shook his head and reclined his seat, closing his eyes. He wouldn't even bother trying to help, he knew Louis was too hot-headed to put anything he suggested on there. That was okay, though, he didn't mind Louis' music.

When their playlist had enough songs for Louis to be satisfied, he pulled out an audio-in from his pocket and hooked everything up.

"Okay," he said. "Now we're ready,"

"Finally!" Harry called out through the window he had opened, turning his head to the bright daylight. "And you were complaining that I was too slow." He mumbled under his breath.

Louis reached out and pinched his arm scowling at him. "Watch it, young man."

Harry laughed at the boy beside him, finding the whole situation amusing considering he was about a whole head taller than Louis in this car. "Let's hit the road."

-

[e d i t e d   9 . 1 6 . 1 5]

[hey hey hey :) this is gonna kick off next chappie. comment what y'all think so far!]