Chapter 20

"Knock, knock," tried Harry after a while, attempting to break the uncomfortable silence in the car.

"Who's there?" Louis answered half-heartedly.

"Iva," he said.

"Iva who?" Louis played along. It wasn't like he's heard this joke before, a couple thousand times.

"I've a sore hand from knocking!" Harry exclaimed gleefully, thinking himself mighty clever.

"You've told me that before," Louis grumbled, still a little upset with Harry, but his mood was slowly lightening with Harry's awful jokes.

"Knock, knock," Harry started again, grinning widely.

"Who's there?" Asked Louis, humouring him.

"Dozen," Harry replied, almost laughing at his own joke before it was finished.

"Dozen who?" Louis responded.

"Dozen anybody want to let me in?"

The horn in the steering wheel honked loudly, and a chorus of honks from the other cars around them chimed back. Harry blushed and removed his hand from the middle of the steering wheel where he had slapped it while laughing.

"Harry!" Louis cried, gently hitting him upside the head. "You're so stupid."

"But you love it," Harry winked cheekily, wrapping his arm around Louis and leaving only one hand to steer.

Obviously, Louis couldn't deny that. "At least I hadn't heard that one before," he said.

"I feel accomplished," Harry stated, speeding up and passing the car to the right of them, earning one last feeble honk.

"Okay," Louis said. "My turn. Why can't a nose be twelve inches long?"

"The fuck Lou?" Harry asked, looking down at him fondly but incredulously.

"Because then it would be a foot!" Louis guffawed, slapping his knee.

Harry stared at him oddly, before laughing along.

"Okay, okay," said Louis. "This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club."

Puzzled, Harry interrupted. "You're not a vegetarian, you just had pepperoni pizza the other day."

Shushing him, Louis continued with his joke. "But I'd never met herbivore!"

This time, Harry actually laughed at the stupidity of Louis' joke. Fondness took over him and he smiled so wide he thought his dimples might fall off.

Louis turned the radio up again, letting it be the only noise in the car as he stared at Harry, admiring him.

Slight stubble scattered around Harry's face alerted Louis to the fact that his must be much worse, but right now he didn't care. He was to enraptured by Harry's bright green eyes trained on the road and the curve of his jaw. His cheekbones looked like they were inhuman, and on one hand Louis was jealous, but on the other he was happy just to have the privilege of looking at someone like Harry.

Turning to the rearview mirror, Louis eyed his own reflection. Sunken cheeks and rough stubble covering his face stood out to him. He would much rather look at Harry, so that's what he did.

Louis absolutely adored Harry. Admired everything about him, from his voice to his hair to his personality that sent Louis reeling.

Man, he loved him.

Sighing in defeat, Louis decided to just accept the fact that he was madly in love with this boy who felt nothing more than a small liking towards him.

At least I have a chance, Louis thought. You told me to take it slow, I'd wait a lifetime for you, if I had to.

Out of the blue, Harry spoke up again. "Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears."

Louis blushed and followed along. "If I were a stop light, I'd turn red everytime you passed by, just so I could stare at you a bit longer."

Winking at Louis, Harry thought fast. "Did you sit in a pile of sugar? Cause you have a pretty sweet ass."

"I know," Louis smirked. "Do you like Adele?"

Now Harry was lost, he thought they were on pick up lines. "Yeah?" He answered questioningly.

"Cause I can tell you want to be rolling in the D."

"Louis!" Harry cried, face lighting up more than a kid's on Christmas.

Placing his hand on Harry's leg, Louis' smirk only grew wider. "Pretend I'm a fire truck, say red light when you want me to stop."

Slowly trailing his hand up Harry's leg, he watched him get more and more flustered until his hand was nearly on top of Harry's crotch.

"Red light!" Harry exclaimed forcefully, crimson in the face and tenser than a taught wire.

"Oh," Louis said smoothly. "But fire trucks don't stop at red lights."

Harry glared at Louis, attempting to forget his hot hand on his leg and focus on driving, but it was near impossible with the way the pads of his fingers rubbed small circles onto the inside of his thigh.

"I'm hungry," Harry said quickly, trying to break the tension with words. "We should eat. Where should we go? What do you want to eat? What time is it? It's 6:48. That's a good time to eat. Is there a McDonald's near-"

"Whatever you say, love," Louis said cheekily, removing his hand from Harry's leg and watching his shoulders sag, the tension draining out of him.

"Okay," Harry murmured, relaxed now. "Let's get some dinner."

Pulling into the drive through, Harry knew their orders by heart after the days they'd spent living off of it.

"Hats and glasses?" Harry asked, and Louis grabbed them from the backseat.

They'd already been recognized a few times, and being so close to the end of their trip, hiding was more trivial than anything else. The show was only in two days.

With their food, the two boys set out again to the loud radio and the erratic beating of their hearts.

-

This will be done in less than two weeks, unless I stop updating every day aha. Comment how often you want me to update :)