8.

"You took a hell of a hit you know, must have just missed your power source" Cade stated, walking over towards Optimus and climbing up the metal step ladder. I watched them talk from my side of the barn, working on one of Cades robots that he had been so desperately trying to fix the day before. "We call it a spark" Optimus spoke, placing a hand to his chest "...It contains our life force, and our memories" he finished. "We call it a soul" Cade replied, now beginning to fiddle with a small piece of metal. I looked up from my work and turned my gaze towards Optimus, who was now removing a bullet casing from his chest plate. I winced slightly at the sound the metal made, its creaking and groaning sound send involuntary shivers up my spine. "Cade, Y/n, why are you willing to help me?" the Autobot asked, looking between us both with a confused expression. 

Both Cade and I looked towards each other, a small smile forming over our faces as we turned our gaze back towards the mech in front of us "I guess maybe because you trust us to..." Cade trailed off, gesturing towards himself and me "...And by the looks of it she's got a lot of hope riding on you" he stated, gesturing towards me before igniting a large blowtorch. Just after we had finished talking, the sound of a car pulling up outside the barn caused me to freeze on the spot. I listened carefully, before sighing in relief at the voice of the person outside. "I'm back!" Lucas cried before the car door behind him closed, "Took you long enough!" Tessa called in annoyance. I chuckled softly before continuing on with my work "My head hurts I had to go to a doctor I got a bruise on my head I look like a freaking Star Trek character" Lucas mumbled before storming inside the barn, holding all the equipment that Cade had obviously asked him to get earlier. 

"Here, I got all the stuff you asked for..." he informed, throwing it all down on a table with a loud clang. "Hey, don't throw that. You could have broken something" I barked, rushing over to check if any of the parts were broken. Lucas grumbled under his breath "To be honest I don't really care anymore...my head hurts, leave me alone" he whined, collapsing onto the couch in the far corner of the barn. I rolled my eyes in annoyance and huffed loudly before running a hand through my hair "You're lucky nothing's broken or I would've-" "Would've what? What would you do?" Lucas taunted, trying to piss me off even more. I gave him a stern glare and folded my arms across my chest for what felt like the millionths time today "I would've kicked your ass out that door and made you go get new parts, ones that weren't broken" I snapped, before spinning on my heel and walking back over to my work.

"Word of warning..." I heard Cade whisper, watching out of the corner of my eye as he turned towards Optimus "Don't piss her off, and I mean it. You don't want to get on her bad side" he continued, turning back to his work on the Autobot. Optimus nodded his helm whilst casting a quick glance over in my direction, "Duly noted" he replied quietly. I smirked, shaking my head slightly in amusement. A moment of silence passed, the only sound was the clinking of a hammer hitting metal, and labored breathing. 

"Dad!" Tessa screamed, causing us all to freeze and turn our attention towards the barn door. I immediately dropped what I was working on and dashed towards the door, immediately fearing the worst. I threw the door open and stopped in the doorway, my eyes widening as I spotted numerous black vehicles driving up the long dirt driveway. "Y/n what is it?!" Cade called from inside, to which I spun around immediately and closed the door behind me. "It's Cemetery Wind, they're here for Optimus" I announced, running back over to them. Cade's eyes widened in fear, immediately taking off the black apron he was wearing and tossing it to the side "Oh shit, Optimus you need to hide" he stated latching onto my wrist with his hand as he began to drag me out of the barn. "But, where would I hide?" he asked, to which I spun around and responded "Anywhere, just don't be seen!" before Cade pulled me outside, closely followed by Lucas.

Once we had made it to the front of the house, many black vehicles had parked themselves around the premises, and helicopters circled above looking for any suspicious movement. I stood beside Cade, watching as the door to the car closest to us opened reveal a man wearing a black trench coat, with reflective sunglasses shining brightly in the sunlight. I watched him carefully, knowing full well who this man was and what he was capable of as he approached us. "Mr Yeager my name's James Savoy, I'm a Federal Agent. My men and I are trying to track down a...abandoned truck" he stated, his gaze flickering to my form every couple of seconds.  I raised an eyebrow at him and tilted my head sideways as a challenge, watching him intently as he now walked over to stand in front of me "Miss L/n, I'm guessing you ignored my warning about you coming into contact with the Autobots?" He asked, more as a statement than an actual question. 

I nodded my head, with no sign of fear evident in my expression "You know me too well then" I replied, smirking up at him with a small chuckle. I could tell he was glaring at me through his glasses, which only brought me more amusement "What the hell is going on here?" the voice of Cade asked, confused as to what was going on. "I let the incident with that...yellow Camaro slide just because I knew your father, but this time I'm not going to be so nice" Savoy continued, completely ignoring Cades question.  I rolled my eyes and avoided his gaze, watching from the corner of my eye as I watched Savoy turn back to Cade "Nice place you got here, too bad she's for sale" he mumbled, watching Cade intently. "Well thanks, she's not" Cade countered, before pointing to his old blue pick-up truck "That truck you mean?" he asked, direction Savoy's attention to the truck behind him. The man shook his head "Afraid not. Mr Yeager we received a call from someone concerned about this truck" he growled, his expression turning from a serious look to one that could kill. I would have remained calm, if it weren't for Lucas mumbling a quick 'Oh no' from behind me. 

I turned my head and glared at the blond surfer, causing him to cower behind the tree he was standing next to. "The only thing I'm concerned about is you being on my property without permission, you know we have a rule about people messing with people from Texas, and I don't know what truck you're talking about" Cade stated, before Savoy swiftly turned towards him "The kind that costs American lives..." he trailed off, glaring at Cade before turning towards me. He stood before me, his face only inches from mine "I warned you Miss L/n, I warned you about what would happen the next time we met" he growled, before spinning around and walking back over to Cade once more. I watched Savoy cautiously, and my chest tightened at the next words he spoke.

"Search the property!".