Chapter nine

*MAES POV*

I woke up the next morning and of course headed to another day of working and getting paid barely enough. But its better than nothing.

I spend yet another boring day pacing around the restaurant back and forth from table to table, counter to counter, customer from customer.

"Mae, hey wait up." I turn around and hunter was jogging towards me.
"I think we lift things with a bad ending yesterday. I didn't say what I wanted to say. And even before, seven years ago I left it off bad with you."
Hunter stood face to face with me. I looked down.

"Okay.. Well you did what you did and I did what I did and there was a reason that you left and I'm proud that you've come this far. So that was a better choice than me and it was good for you."
He sighed.
"Listen hunter I have to get back to work."

"Was it good for you Mae?" He asks. I furrowed d my eyebrows
together,

"Was what good for me?"
I asked and continued walking around doing my job but hunter was following me around taking to me.

"Me leaving. I know it wasn't. But I want you to understand how miserable and sorry I am for doing that." I rolled my eyes.

I set trays of food down in front of people sitting down at a table. I smiled.

"Yeah and seven years later here you are again. What took you so long hunter?" I ask. He stopped talking.

"I don't know what took me so long. Guilt? I don't know it was stupid. I just didn't know. It was different, I don't know but I'm sorry."

"Yeah so am I. But to answer your question, yes and no. No because I was left here in this world all by myself for all this time dealing with my drunk abusive father.... I loved it. Best three years of my life hunter."
He looked down at the floor.

"I loved you mae, I really really did."

"Yeah. Mmm hmm I believe you. You loved me for a little while. And then you loved Nashville. Which is totally cool hunter. Very. Very cool"

"Mae you don't understand. I did what was best at the time. I did what felt right for me. I did what was best for me." He said.

"Oh. What about what was best for me? What was I to you? Why wasn't I what was best for you? Did I do something wrong hunter? Why?"

I walked behind the counter and wiped off my hand with the towel.
Hunter was at the other side of the counter.
There was a huge line at the counter. And I had no clue what was happening.
Two other girls came out to the counter and did all of that.

"You were the best thing that was in my life Mae. I loved you so much. I wanted to Mary you. I wanted to have a family with you and I wanted to save you from your fears and hold you. I wanted you to be mine. I wanted you to be my wife and I wanted to grow old with you and be barried in the same grave as you. I wanted to love you and kiss you. I wanted to see you're beautiful face every morning. I wanted to kiss you good night. I wanted to hold you and wrap you in my arms and fall asleep together. That's what you were to me! That's what you are to me."

I turned around and listened to him talk.
I wiped the tears from my eyes.
He dragged me outside. Where no one was here.

"Than why did you leave me? We could've gotten that far and you left me for seven years! You left me with my dad! You left me to get Hit and smacked around! I had no one. I didn't know what the point in life was after you left! I wanted to give up. I wanted you to come to the rescue and tell me it was okay! I wanted you to come and sneak into my bedroom window like you use to do and I waited and waited for you to come back and you never did! I was a mess hunter. I loved you."

I screamed at him. I wiped all the years pouring out of my eyes and streaming down my face.
I looked up at him and seen he was also crying. He wrapped his arms around me. He rocked back and fourth.

"I'm so sorry I did that to you. I didn't mean to hurt you in any way possible and you didn't deserve anything you got. I'm so sorry Mae."

After he said that it was quiet. I didn't say anything. I just let him hug me really tight and rock me back and fourth.
I missed him so much.

"I Missed you so much hunter."

"Mae." He pulled away from the bug but kept his hands on my arms.

"Let me make it up to you. Please." He begged. I looked into his sad bright blue eyes.

"I feel like you are going to leave me again."
I shrugged.

"I will never ever leave you again. I promise you. I will never leave you. I feel bad enough for what I already did to you. I still love you. You know that right?"

He asked. He searched my eyes and waited for an answer

I nodded. I laughed at myself a bit and wiped my face.

"I'm sorry for all of this. You probably didn't want to come down here and have me yell at you and be a jerk."

He smirked.

"You're nor a jerk. I deserved it. I left you and it was the worst thing I've ever done. Lets hang out"

"What? You mean now?" I asked.

"I mean tonight. Let me make this up to you. It's the least I could do." He smiled. I nodded.

"Okay." I gave him my number and my address.

"I'll see you tonight Mae." He smiled at me and turned around to walk away.
I leaned against the building. I watched as started walking away. He turned around.
"Wait."
He walked back over to me. I smiled.

He grabbed my hand. He looked down.

"What?" I asked.

"I forgot something." He said. He blushed a little and looked up at me. He didn't stop smiling. He looked into my eyes. He rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb and he started to lean in towards me. He closed his eyes and kissed me. He pressed against me and I leaned in closer to the wall.

I closed my eyes and kissed him back. He moved his hand to my waist and pulled himself closer to me.

As much as I wanted to pull away I couldn't.

He stopped kissing me and his forehead touched mine. His nose rubbed agaimst mine. He moved off of me. He took my hand and looked into my eyes.

"I'll see you tonight." He smiled and walked down the street.

I bit my bottom lip. I smiled and blushed and walked back inside.

"Woah. Who was that?" Sabrina asked me as I walking back inside.

"Hunter." I said. She laughed.

"I was going to go get you again but I walked out into a make-out session so I walked back in." She was wiping down tables. Everyone had left.
She handed me a rag and I started to also wipe down tables.

"It wasn't a makeout session." I stated.

"Yeah. It was. Who was he, your boyfriend?"
She asked and smiled at me.

"No. I haven't seen him in seven years. Be was just saying hi." I shrugged. She rolled her eyes.

"That was one friendly way of saying hi."
She laughed again.
"Aw you should see your face right now, you're bright red and you're smiling! Aw! Loveee!!!!" She teased me. I shook my head.

"It's not love." I laughed.

But what was it? Just a kiss?

I went home that night and got changed. Hunter said he was going to come over
There was a knock on my front door and I answered it to see hunter standing there.

"Hey." He smiled at me