Chapter 1: To the Leaf

Hajime's p.o.v

I was sitting quietly by my windowsill, gazing at the stars I once shared with my brother. The day he left made a great impact on me. I was no longer the same child I was when I had hoped he would come home. My happiness faded, my smile was no more, and my eyes became dull. 

Granny Chiyo, the only family who stays with me is the one I hate the most. I know I shouldn't blame her for his defect, but I can't help but feel it was her fault. I had no longer spoke to her as I used to and kept my distance away from her. 

It breaks her heart that I do this to her, especially when we were once very close. Sometimes I feel like accepting her once more, but a knot in my heart tells me otherwise. Either it was because of my lingering hatred for her, or because I was too scared to approach her. I sighed, maybe I should just keep it the way it is now. I highly doubt I'll feel any better than I am now.

I got up from my windowsill and closed it shut. I walked over to my bed until a knock was heard. I made my way over and opened the door, it was my grandmother.

"Hajime, how are you feeling today?" she asked.

I stayed silent just looking at her.

She sighed. "Well, the Kazekage requested that you stay in Konoha for your own health. As his student, he cares about your well being... even though I feel like sending you there will-"

"I'll pack my things now, I will leave first thing tomorrow." I said cutting her off.

"Well... alright then." she said sadly.

'Damn... why can't you make this easier for me to hate you...'

She began to turn around to walk away, but I grabbed onto her robe before she had the chance to leave.

"I'll be fine.... obaa-San.." I muttered quietly, looking to the side.

She turned around to look at me and had a small smile. It has been a while since I called her my grandmother directly. So seeing her like this seems... right. She nodded her head and I released my hold on her robe, allowing her to leave. She did so as I closed my bedroom door and began to pack. I packed things that would be essential and stuffed them into my summoning scrolls, after that, I made my way to my bed finally being able to get some sleep.

Hours later, I awoke from my sleep and began to get ready for the long days ahead of me. I then grabbed my summoning scrolls and put them into my right pouch. I then gradually made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. I was greeted by my grandmother who had prepared me a big breakfast, probably because she won't know when she'll ever see me again. 

I sat on a chair and quietly ate the food just like any other day. Once the food was done and she had walked with me to the gates of Suna. There stood the Kazekage and his three children. I was never friends with Temari nor Kankuro. Gaara... I considered as a friend and so did he with me. I had no problems with Temari, she was cool, but we never really talked that much. 

As for Kankuro, he considered me a rival due to me being well known with my puppetry skills, along with my older brother. Throughout my village and bingo books, I was known as The Red Snake. The red wasn't from my hair, but the blood I spill, and snake because I am silent and stalk my prey before finding an opening and going in for the kill. I wasn't a big fan of killing, but in the missions my sensei gave me he expected, so highly of me that it was to kill or be killed. So I guess now I kill out of pure instinct due to the missions.

We walked up to the Kazekage and bowed in respect.

"Show those Leaf shinobi's what a Sand ninja can do." my sensei said proudly.