Chapter 3

The next day Jess awakens to the bright sun shining through the chamber from the opened window, the sound of birds chirping a lullaby in her ears. She stretches her arm across the sheets and breathes, the smell of green and life in her nose, rather than sewage or smoke of the city life. Ella is not present. Doesn't surprise Jess. She has always been a morning kind of girl. And especially here, like a child waking up for a day in Disney World.

Jess is less excited. But she sits up nevertheless. She calls in her maid once she walks across the smooth hard wood floors from her bed. After she is helped into her corset she searches through the gowns to find an appropriate one

It is a dark brown dress made of slightly rougher cloth and not very fancy, just puffy at the shoulders. Her maid helps her put it on and lace up the back. Her stomach starts to growl as she gets her hair done. Afterwards she decides to go see if breakfast is still out

When she hops down to the dining room she sees that Miss Charming is still eating. Heartwright and Ella (well now called Civil) stand by the windows after just now finishing eating. On the table are biscuits, scones, eggs, tea, and even a few meats. The food isn't hot anymore, but now that Jess owns the place she can very well walk into the kitchen where the bakers are and grab a fresh scone. This idea ponders in her head until Miss Charming says, "Oh good morning Miss Audri," with a smile, a tiny piece of blueberry stuck in her teeth.

"Yes good morning indeed, Miss Audri," Heartwright says when she notices her appearance.

Ella wears an outdoor type dress like Jess's. It's grey and has subtle vertical stripes. She wears a brown sweater over it just as long as the dress itself, buttoned at the breast and long sleeved. Her hair is done like Jess's as well; a loose bun that looks cute but still very regency with some stray locks left out.

Jess decides to just grab a scone and some ham. She doesn't realize how hungry she is until just then. She eats it as quickly as was acceptable for a woman of that age and downs some milk. "Are all you ladies ready for hunting today?" she asks.

"Most certainly," Ella chuckles.

"Oh yes but don't be jealous of my skills," Charming remarks, but still smiling with excitement.

"Oh do not worry about that," Heartwright sasses.

Ella rolls her eyes.

"Where are all the men? Are they suddenly too scared to hunt with women?" Jess teases. They're probably off pouting that their day off got cancelled.

"Perhaps they are. I know Mr. Nobley has his pants in a twist about today," Ella grins.

Jess smiles. "Well they should be. We shall show them that men are not the only ones capable of riding horses and shooting guns."

"No need to make everything a battle of the sexes," Ella says to her. "Riding horses is something women do a lot in this time. But shooting guns, however, is something I would have to agree with Mr. Nobley on. It simply isn't how things are done."

"Are you siding with enemy?" Jess teases.

She snickers with amusement and half rolls her eyes before looking away.

"I only meant that I look forward to joining the men on their outing that they weren't expecting us to be on. I rather like shooting."

"Right-o!" Charming says in her off accent with her eyebrows lifted.

"The clouds are heavy today," Civil says while gazing out the window.

"I do wish to go outside before it rains," Heartwright says.