Chapter 20

They make their way down the hall and can hear thousands of voices. "How many people are down there?" Jess asks.

"I don't know," Ella responds.

"Well, let's go find out."

And at the top of the grand stairs they can see it. To their surprise, the whole first floor of the house is packed with people from they have no idea where. Women in white frocks and men in black jackets as far as their eyes can see. They walk around with footmen in between them holding trays of drinks and other things as the guests mingle about.

They don't see anyone familiar in the sea of faces despite their desire to have a Cinderella worthy entrance. But Ella loops arms with Jess. "Let's go," she says and walks down the steps with her and Lizzy.

Jess' eyes scan the crowd for any sign of Henry but he is no where to be seen. She glances at Ella and can see she seems to be doing the same.

The candles and chandeliers light the room terrifically despite the darkness outside. The room is light golden everywhere, the flowers of the same colors making the scene like a painting. Jess suspects some early actors and actresses in the industry were called here for this one evening, seeing a few young faces she has never seen before. But some of them she recognizes as the servants and the maids. Wattlesbrook probably has the whole staff in here for their guests.

She turns in a circle, taking in every detail possible.

They step down when they recognize the face of Captain East dressed nicely in his dark jacket and white cravat. They approach him as he smiles at them, the blonde beside him they suspect is Heartwright.

"Hello George," Ella says happily. "Oh and Amelia I do hope you have fun tonight."

She turns to glare at them, a patch covering her left eye that signifies she might have permanent damage. She looks furious.

Jess tries her best to hide her shock. "You look lovely, Amelia."

"Like a pirate," Lizzy says in reference to the eye patch.

"But like a beautiful pirate," Ella corrects.

George holds Amelia back from trying to get it Charming. "It's infected," she growls.

"So sorry..." Lizzy says sincerely.

"Maybe we should go," East suggests, his girl looking like she is ready to kill Charming herself. He tries to pull her away. "Baby," he pleads.

"Ships ahoy," Lizzy mutters as she watches them leave.

Ella tries not to laugh. But she feels bad for Heartwirght.

"Poor Amelia..." Jess mutters as they walk off

"She looks horrible," Lizzy says quietly.

"I hope she enjoys her night."

"Yeah... I feel bad," Ella agrees.

They hear a familiar voice singing and look to their left to see Colonel Andrews wearing his usual red uniform and tight ivory breeches. "I was hoping to dance with a goddess tonight!" he hums as he approaches them. He gasps when he spots his scripted woman. "Lordy. Smother me in butter and drop me in the saucepan! There she is! My Venus de Milo!" he chuckles.

Ella tries not to crack up. 'Oh wow he's excited.' But then spots his drink. 'That was probably helping no doubt.'

Jess' face starts twitching from trying to smile. She is doing her best to hold in her laughter but her general happiness this evening is making it harder