Chapter 21

When Jess awakens the next morning the whole place feels eerie. As if ghosts wait to lurk around while they sleep.

The clouds gather thickly outside, leaving the sky in a white sheet over the green hills layered with fog. She cannot hear the birds chirping but only the wind gently rattling the glass of the old window.

She doesn't feel cheery like yesterday morning. She feels better though. She knows what she wants now. She will figure out how to dissolve Pembrook Park of Austenland, saving anyone from the pain that she and Ella went through. She doesn't know how she will but she will. At least she will get rid of what she owns here.

Jess yawns and stretches out her arm but to her surprise the spot beside her on the bed is empty, letting the grey light lay upon the folds of the cream sheets to show vacancy.

But a suitcase is dropped on the blankets of Ella's side just then. When Jess looks up she sees her friend packing stuff into it, her hair down and wearing her white blouse and jean trousers rolled up her calf. It's early.

"Why are you up already?" Jess asks as she rubs her eyes and pulls her body up atop her elbow.

"I'm going to the airport. I can't stand to be in the place any longer. You can sort out what you need to with Misses Wattlesbrook without me and I'll meet you back home," she replies, not sounding upset about yesterday but just casual.

"You're going to fly back by yourself?" Jess knows Ella can handle herself, she just does not want her to get lonely after she gets home.

"Im taking the train... I can use the journey." She looks at her friend. "I'm a big girl, Jess," she says in an almost chuckle as she zips her luggage closed.

"I know you are. I just don't like the idea of you sitting in your flat alone until I get back."

"Actually there is that cute cable guy that I might give a call," she gives a flirty look. "And there's also Anya I could talk to. Though it will be weird to have a place all to myself again..."

"I know what you mean." Jess smiles at the thought of Ella and the cable guy. "Just don't get into any trouble until I get back, alright?"

"No promises," she mutters jokingly as she sorts the last of her things in her purse. "Where's my baby?" she asks referring to her cell phone.

"Mrs. Wattlesbrook took it, remember?" She had been very strict about the 'no modern conveniences' rule.

"Did you let her take yours?" She frowns as she walks to the nightstand to open the drawer. "Ah here we are." She takes her baby and sticks it in her purse.

"Did you not? She said it was required..."

She shrugs.

After a long moment of silence Ella sighs after she finishes and sits down on the bed by Jess. It's weird to see her in modern day clothes and even weirder for Ella to be wearing them, and not suffocating from a corset. She thinks with her hands in her lap.

"How are you today?" Jess asks her.

She hesitates to think but then looks at her and nods. "Better," she says surely. "What about you?"

"I'm good," Jess lies.

"...Good," she takes her hand and gives it a comforting squeeze.

Jess smiles back.

It is quiet for a moment.

"Well I should get going..." she says and stands up after checking the time from the old clock instead of her phone out of habit. She grabs her things which is just a suitcase and her large purse. "Don't you get into trouble either in my absence, Miss Elizabeth," she says teasingly.