Chapter 15

They come back in for lunch. But during the meal Jess and Nobley try not to laugh the whole time for a reason they have no idea of. And after that they head back out to practice their lines a little to make sure they can remember them.

Then they all gather for dinner. Bradford and East goof off the whole time and Amelia, Ella, and Jess all talk. Soon enough though it becomes men talking, and girls talking.

.

.

Afterwards they hang around in the drawing room, Amelia and George watching the stars for a little, Charming sleeping on the couch while Andrews shakes his head at her, Bradford sitting on the other couch as Ella leans against his shoulder talking to him and playing with his sleeve, Mr. Nobley sitting in the chair by the piano reading, and Jess sitting at the piano and fiddling with a very quiet song out of boredom.

"I want chocolate," Ella is complaining quietly.

"There are cupcakes," Bradford suggests with the same volume.

Jess thinks it's cute how they are so comfortable with each other already, like a married couple.

"No like good chocolate," she specifies.

"Oh," he chuckles.

Jess's fingers stroke the chilled ivory keys idly and she huffs. Then her eyes go over to the gentleman reading close to her, looking like he did the first day. But then he glances up and smiles at her cutely, giving her those warm butterflies unlike the first day. She slides over on the cushioned bench and pats the spot next to her. He smiles with his teeth and shuts his book, putting it on his chair and moving to sit beside her. "Hello," he says adorably with a grin as she returns the expression, giggling for no real reason.

"Why don't you play something?" she asks.

"Oh heavens no."

"For me?"

"Well then absolutely not."

She glares but can't not look amused. She faces the keys again. "I'll teach you, here. How about this?" She plays a simple pattern, a chorus to a song she likes to play often. She points to the keys and when he places his hand on it she giggles and fixes his fingers, lingering to not remove her soft fingers from the back of his strong hand. He repeats her melody. She shows him some more, though unaware he stares at her face instead of the keys the whole time... But then she starts to play her part as he plays his, laughing and goofing off as they both recognize the song she is teaching him: "Kingdom Come" by The Civil Wars. And when they play they amusingly sing some of the lyrics but laugh when they do.

Jess has had more fun at Pembrook than she ever thought she would

Jess has had more fun at Pembrook than she ever thought she would. She wants to keep this place and hopes the others will come back when they have more clients. She loves Amelia, George, Lizzy, Andrews, Bradford, and especially Henry. But he did say he wasn't coming back. Maybe she can persuade him to stay just as a guest not someone who has a script like he had suggested.