Chapter 12 (2)

Jess awakens from her sleep reaching out towards Ella for comfort. But of course she isn't there. Slowly Jess realizes it must be late. She remembers coming in very tired last night and drained from a long day. She squints just enough to see the clock in the distance of the room. It says it's ten thirty. That's not good. Has she missed breakfast yet?

She gets out of bed and gets dressed as quickly as she can. She splashes some water on her face to help her wake up then rushes downstairs

In the drawing room Ella and Bradford are there talking and joking about something. Andrews is the first to see Jess and he bows. "Good morning to you Miss Audri. We were beginning to worry about your late arrival," he says.

"Good morning Colonel. Yes I slept so well last night I did not want to wake up, I suppose."

"No judgment here, Miss Audri. I have said such as that as well. But of course the company of such as yourself and the others keeps me excited every morning."

"Of course," she smiles. She eyes Ella and Bradford. She would have to talk to Ella sometime later to figure out what exactly is going on.

The colonel bows to excuse himself and rejoins Lady Heartwright who wishes to speak with him.

"Oh Jess!" Ella says when she realizes she has come to join them at last. "You simply must hear this," she tries to stop laughing.

"Oh please do not tell her," Bradford says through clenched teeth. Jess realizes how close the two stand, his hand in both of hers playfully as she giggles.

"Tell me what?" Jess asks.

"This morning we noticed that the chandelier in the ballroom had a loose bulb. So Mr. Bradford here suggests he can fix it, trying to prove that he is a handy man-" Ella starts.

"I was just trying to be helpful," Bradford pouts.

Ella laughs. "Even so he gets a step and though Mr. Nobley tries to tell him it's a foolish idea he insists and reaches to twist the bulb. And he succeeds in fixing it..." she starts to laugh to tell the rest. "He steps down and says, 'I told you I could fix it,' but the whole thing breaks from its chain and crashes on the ground," she cracks up.

"How was I supposed to know that it was so unstable?" he tries to defend himself

"There was glass everywhere," Ella laughs. "I've never seen Mr. Nobley looking so completely disappointed in my life. Bradford just looks like a guilty puppy dog," she continues.

"I did not," he laughs.

"Did anyone get hurt?" Jess asks in alarm. Neither Ella or Bradford seemed injured but they said Henry was there and he is not around for Jess to check on.

"No everyone was fine it was small," Bradford says in a complaining way, still glum about Ella embarrassing him.

"I don't think I have seen Captain East laugh so hard..." Ella says as she remembers the incident.

"It wasn't that bad..." Bradford starts.

"Oh darling everything you touch breaks," she holds his hand as he looks displeased at her.