Chapter 18

After they get changed back in their clothes, the maids help them clean up the mess and all the huge pieces of setting.

Then they all head inside to the drawing room, talking about the production and laughing. It's late for them all but everyone is so energetic it feels as early as three p.m.

Henry is quiet after a little while, looking at Jess to wonder if she is feeling uncomfortable about what he said. He tries to look for signs that return his feelings... or discourage them...

Jess, sitting on the couch next to him, feels his eyes on her. She looks up and sees him looking at the ground with deep thinking in his gaze. Sensing his thoughts she reaches for his hand and holds it in both of hers.

He looks at her with some hesitation, wondering if the gesture means what he wants it to, or just sympathy. His expression looks as if it asks, 'Are you sure?'

 His expression looks as if it asks, 'Are you sure?'

He is so adorable it melts her heart. In answer she stretches up and kisses him on the cheek. 'Yes.'

Immediately his cheeks blush and he looks away, a grin spreading on his lips as his heart feels warmth

Immediately his cheeks blush and he looks away, a grin spreading on his lips as his heart feels warmth. The look in her eyes was more than enough for an answer to him. His hand holds hers tighter now as he seems to be shy, definitely feeling unworthy here, but also just content as well. A part of him is discombobulated. She loves him back? Truly? He can't make himself believe it. This girl is too good to be true. There's got to be some catch... Right? His mind is on cloud nine either way. And if he's dreaming then so be it. He never wants to wake up. He can't seem to stop smiling.

Jess chuckles a bit at he reaction. Feeling happier than she has in a long time, she lays her head on his shoulder and listens to the sounds of the people around her, enjoying every bit of the evening.

"Nobley what move did you say that one was? You learned it in the military," Captain East says as he brings him into the lively conversation he is having with Bradford, Ella, and Andrews all standing.