Chapter 8

The next morning Jess actually wakes up before Ella. She lingers in bed for a minute with the silky white sheets covering her to her chin. She looks over at the window with curtains trying their hardest to cover the white light from the room... and then at the canvas that is calling her name... She could paint until Ella wakes and then they can get the maid to come after that to help them change...

Then Jess looks at Ella. She seems so peaceful, with the light shining though the curtains, that Jess decides she has to capture this moment. She quietly gets up and arranges the painting supplies, then sets to work copying down every feature of her best friend.

As always happens, Jess blocks out the world. She sees only what she has to. She hardly even notices when Ella opens her eyes. "Jess," Ella mumbles, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "What are you doing?"

Jess looks sheepish and takes a moment before answering. "Painting... you."

"Me?" she gasps, grabbing he sheets and covering her chest as if she's naked

"Relax. You look adorable."

"What? No Jess I haven't worn make-up in four days! And my hair!" she starts to tame it by running her fingers through it even though her curls seem flawless to Jess. But that's just Ella.

"Ella, shut up. You are gorgeous. Come see. Though the painting doesn't do you justice."

"Oh you paint incredibly I don't know why you don't sell them," she says as she hops off the bed to come and see. Jess remembers when Ella wanted to open up a litte café/art shop with her to sell her stuff when they were young teens.

"Whoa I actually look pretty!" she giggles as she jumps at the painting so far.

"You always look pretty. And you know why I don't sell them." Like many things, painting is something Jess had never wanted to share with many people, and nothing has changed.

"Very well," she sighs. "Should I call for Margaret?"

 "Should I call for Margaret?"

"Please."

She smiles and then rings the bell. In a few minutes the maid arrives to help the girls into their corsets and gowns. Ella picks a silky mint green gown and pulls out a beautiful but casual white one and looks at Jess. "Can you please finally wear this one today? It would so pretty with you hair color and complexion."

Sighing, Jess answers. "Whatever you think is best."

"Yay!" she squeals and Margaret helps Ella first into her dress and then tightens Jess's corset. They change and Ella lets the maid fix her hair as she fixes Jess's. Then once their tummies are finally rumbling, they head downstairs for breakfast. They only find the two girls there. But after that meal the men appear. Mr. and Mrs. Wattlesbrook are not present, which makes this day seem even better.