Chapter One: To A New Home

"Beginnings, once known, are lost".

- Robert D. Fitzgerald, "Beginnings"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Terra Mirus by Jo Blankenburg

Banner by Nour

*****

Chapter One: To A New Home

Cady dangled her legs over the railings of the marble staircase. The sun dipped into the horizon, a great burning orb that reached out to the palls of clouds, tumbling with ease into the untarnished sea.

Winter peeled away not too long ago, the strangling frost replaced by the sweet melodies brought by Spring on her merry lute. Luminescent white lilies bloomed all over the great plains, their petals shining like the blighted moon, curling around the out flung arms of the foreboding mountains far off into the east.

The gentle wind tugged at Cady's flaming locks, toying with them out of sheer curiosity, as if trying to convey a message to her. However, Cady didn't notice the incessant caress of the wind, for her heart rested far away from the lush beauty of Esvanira.

"Cady."

The familiar timbre of a voice caught her attention. She swung around. Firaun Strauss stood before the great iron wrought gates, his silver hair blinding even in the dying rays of the evening sun. The dark circlet of stars stood out stark on his fair head, reminding Cady of his new status—the High Priest of the Hall of Games.

"Hey Firaun." Cady slid aside to make space for her friend. "What's up?"

Firaun raised an eyebrow.

"To see the last batch of Starlets off, of course." He plopped down beside her. "And Cady, you might want to be more careful with that shadow of yours."

"Huh?" Cady raised her head.

A large shadow depicting a winged man shimmered on the ground, blending into the darkness shrouding the Hall of Games. Her beloved Consort—Zoroth's shadow shone in full view, thrown across the marbled floors in a careless fashion, the tips of his massive wings fluttering in the breeze.

"If anyone else saw that, they would have executed you. Do you still remember the practices we performed throughout the weeks? You need to suppress your Consort's shadow at all costs."

"I do," she replied. It hurt. She had always imagined the bond as a cord, tying her to Zoroth forever. By restraining Zoroth's shadow, it placed them in a death strangle, straining the cord until it almost severed. The agony of it was like drowning in the fires of the Underworld.

But the results were worth it. She could now manipulate her shadow into her normal form, but it required an immense amount of energy and concentration. Once that thin strand of concentration snapped, all the shadows she tried so hard to contain will surge out, roaring like a lion freed from its den.

"You need to get going, for the remaining Oracles will arrive soon. Remember what I said—don't panic. Always imagine yourself pulling in an invisible rubber band, it works better."

Cady nodded and closed her eyes. Visualizing was the easy part. She prodded Zoroth who obeyed, shrinking and snapping until he formed the petite outline of a young girl. Cady winced as the familiar pain of folding bones sliced through her. She bit her lip as the cone of light fought back, like an elastic band that would recoil at any given second. Reminding herself of the ghastly consequences gave her the strength she needed to complete the transformation.