Chapter Thirty-Six: Reunion

"In fact we were afraid, yes afraid of each other."

- Christopher Middleton, "At porthcothan"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Lelianna's Song, Dragon Age OST

Media: Sad Cady

******

Chapter Thirty-Six: Reunion

Firaun Strauss held down Cady's arms as she fought against him. He couldn't help but to wonder what happened to her. Her face, once smooth and beautiful, was now covered in scratched and bruises. Two shiny streaks ran down her cheeks-dried tears. She wore no armor, and her Oracle robes were severely torn, especially by the sleeves. Her Walker tattoo, without the coverage of her robes was in full view, glistening like oil.

She screamed again. Firaun raised a hand as Calaeno rushed forward, eager to help.

"No need, I can take care of her."

Her screams were a distorted jumble, but most of the time he could sense a name forming on her lips-Jasper.

"It's alright," he murmured. "You're safe now."

Finally, fatigue took its toll. Cady sunk into an exhausted faint, going limp in Firaun's arms. Her head lolled against his chest as Firaun gathered her in his arms and walked toward the nearest Healer who had a tent set up at once.

Whispers of who is she burned the lips of his army of thousands. Firaun ignored them. Right now, all his attention was focused on the frail little bundle in his arms.

From the corner of his eye, he saw Master Calaeno gasp when Cady's right arm slipped loose and dangled at her side.

"A Walker," he snarled. "How is this possible?"

More murmurs, this time louder. Firaun regarded Master Calaeno coldly. "Now is not the time for old hatred and vengeance. We have a Hall to save."

"How are you so certain the abomination in your arms isn't the bringer of war?" he shot back, his Celestial Blade already drawn. "Let me finish her, her kind doesn't deserve to live."

Firaun glared at Master Calaeno. The huge man was suddenly on his knees, his hands clawing at his neck, struggling to breathe. His face turned from a rich beefy red to an ugly shade of purple. "Master Calaeno," Firaun said calmly. "You are, after all a High Priest. You should know the price of killing innocence. Speak out of turn again, and you will die."

He released his invisible grip on the Master's neck. He slumped forward in a pitiful mess, gobbling sweet air. Cady was stone-cold in her arms. Part of him burned with guilt. He was the one who sent her to the Hall of Spirits with the vestigial hope of her being able to thrive within disguising as an Oracle. Look at what you've done, he chided himself. She's hurt.

Mistress Corinth went forward. Her eyes were a shade of different color-green on the right and blue on the left-considered a gift of healing among the Oracles. "The tent is ready, Your Honor." She gestured at the makeshift tent in the clearing. "Lay her there, I will take care of the rest."

Her eyes fell onto Cady's Walker tattoo. She paled.

"Your Honor, is she-?"

"Yes," he replied before the Healer finished her question. "She's one of the last Walkers."

"One of the last?" she repeated. "You mean there are more Walkers?"

"The one now reveling in the Hall of Spirits, is a Walker. He is the one we are here for."