Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hall of Shadows ( Part II )

Soundtrack of the chapter: New Life by Thomas Bergersen ( please do play it for Casper feels!)

Media: CASPER ( again, I know. I can't stop my feels :'))

*****

Chapter Twenty-Four: The Hall of Shadows (Part II)

The heavens treated them well. There were no sign of thunderstorms or the incessant wails of horrific winds which Jasper told Cady that always tore through the Shadow towns. Of course, there would be the occasional downpour, but nothing they couldn't handle. It had become a routine for the past few days-dismount and build shelter when it rains, clean, change her bandages, feed and move on.

Cady's eyelids fluttered open. She held them half open as the morning sunlight filtered past them, so that she saw a dense patch of red behind her eyes.

She got up, stretching herself like a cat. It didn't hurt as much as it used too when she did some intense movement. Jasper had forbidden her from doing anything that might rip her stitches apart, and that included helping him gather firewood.

Speaking of Jasper, Cady wondered where he went.

His sleeping bag was empty, the blankets askew. The mouth of his pack yawned open, spilling out some changes of clothes and bandages.

Her heart seized. Where was he?

Panic clouded her. Her head spun from rising too fast, and she might have torn a stitch from her actions.

She didn't dare to call out, there might be enemies in hiding. If Jasper was disarmed...she cringed at the thought of it. Jasper was undeniably powerful, and his Gilded Tarot could decapitate anyone he set his mind upon. The defeat of the great Decanate on their camp earlier was already more than enough proof. In order to take him down, the opponent must be terribly mighty.

The familiar coolness of her Celestial Blade found its way into her hand. She gripped it tight, just like how she was taught before. Threading on the leafy ground with care, Cady ducked behind the trees, one at a time.

Water sloshed down the waterfall nearby, the crashing sound of it drawing nearer as she approached it. A flicker of shadow shifted against the wilds. Cady pressed herself hard against a tree, her blade poised and ready.

Calm down Cady, calm down.

She poked her head from the tree, just enough for her to peek at the river.

Someone was down there in the river, with his naked back facing her. Cady squinted, the morning sun too bright for her eyes to focus on the figure. It looked like a man...with dark wet hair. Her eyes adjusted and she gasped.

Shit!

She leapt back behind the tree as Jasper turned around, his eyebrows knitted together tight.

Dammit, dammit, dammit.

Her face was on fire. She sheathed her blade and crept back to the camp at top speed. The sound of pattering footsteps followed her and she picked up her pace. She dived into the tent and pretended to be looking for bandages.

A few moments later, an amused Jasper lifted the tent flap. Cady tried not to look at his lean abs, visible under his towel slung over his shoulders. His dark hair, unruly and wild, was now plastered all over his face.

"Are you okay, Cady?"

"Uh...yeah," she replied, a little too brightly. "I was just looking for bandages."