Chapter Twenty-Six: Across the Stars

"On me love's fiercer flames for every prey,

By night he scorches, as he burns by day."

- Alexander Pope, "From Summer"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Across the Stars by John Williams ( Star Wars II soundtrack)

Media: A banner I compiled on Cady's Beltane dress and how her head deco look like! ;)

*****

Chapter Twenty-Six: Across the Stars

Cady stared at the number of dresses in the room and felt faint. It was impossible for her to sieve through that great amount of clothes. Even the amount of jewelry available was staggering. She ran a hand through the rack of dresses, feeling the different textures kiss her skin as she breezed past.

She grabbed one off the rack and twirled it around. A dirty mirror stood next to the large wardrobe. Almost tripping over the long hem, she held it up against her body and pretended to do a little curtsey.

The frills of the navy blue dress seemed to choke her at neck level. She shook her head and placed the hanger back. With quick fingers, she unhooked several from their hangers and proceeded to test them.

One sleeveless ruby red dress caught her fancy, but its bodice was cut scandalously low. Cady groaned and cast it aside, knowing that her little breasts would never be enough to fill up even a quarter of the built in bra. More dresses were cast with much exasperation onto a nearby chair.

More frills greeted her as she rummaged through the rack, no longer caring if she left them in mess. She would sort them out later, if she found a dress that doesn't look like an explosion of laces or a glitter party.

Time ticked by. Cady soon gave up, staring at the mountain of rejected dresses with much regret and irritation.

There was nothing here suitable for her. She rested her face in her hands, trying to come up with a brilliant idea. Either she could wear jeans to the Ball or grab one of the least frilly ones. But the thought of wearing something that will make her resemble a French roll was horrifying. She ditched it without a second thought.

Perhaps some jewelry would refresh her mind. There were still plenty of sections she could go through.

She knelt by a wide wooden chest and stared at it. The old metal lock easily fell away as she turned the rusty key and lifted it.

A huge array of jewelry, both real and fake lay in a massive jumble inside. Some Tinkers must have cast a charm on the jewelry, for none were tangled when she pulled them out.

There were a few loud clangs as she dropped several large bracelets, steel, by the looks of it. Cady sat down on a trunk and allowed the jewelry to seize through her fingers. Her attention fell on a long, slim necklace with a little crescent moon, carved from rose quartz and studded with silver rhinestones. She slipped it over her head. Liking the way to rested on her bosom, she placed it aside while continuing her search for the perfect trinket.

She finally decided to go with the quartz necklace. Cady slipped off the trunk she sat on and stared at the pile of chests. Her eyes fell onto a dark casket slid among the many chests. It was about the size of a small suitcase. Sliding her hands into the pile, she pulled out the casket, her clumsiness almost causing an overhead chest to topple over.