Chapter Sixteen: A Mutual Agreement

"I never saw so sweet a face

As that I stood before.

My heart has left its dwelling place

And can return no more."

- John Clare, "First Love"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Star Child by Ivan Torrent (DO PLAY IT!)

Media: The great Dragon Star

*****

Chapter Sixteen: A Mutual Agreement

Jasper extended his hand to Cady as she clambered clumsily over the rocks of the river. The black rocks were smooth from the endless cascade of the waterfall as well as the caress of the swift currents, making it difficult for her to stand firm.

"It's okay, Jasper. I got it," she panted and placed a tentative foot on the rock before her.

"No you're not. You're going to fall in," Jasper said, his hand still outstretched.

Cady rolled her eyes. The sky was pure blackness, and the gushing river outside Jasper's hut was a dark ribbon stretching from the North to the South, illuminated only by the weak light of the sickle moon. The tea lights Jasper had lit bobbed up and down the water surface, struggling against the chords which secured them to the banks.

A sharp breath escaped her as she pitched forward, aiming for the next rock. She lost her balance. With a scream, she fell backward. As quick as lightning, Jasper darted toward her and caught her by the waist, just as she was about to fall into the running water.

"See, I've told you so." He grinned, his face smug.

"Go away." She prised Jasper's hands off her. With caution, she made her way toward the flat boulder in the middle, making sure to avoid the smaller, jagged ones.

Jasper laughed and followed her. "Is this how you repay your savior?"

Cady placed her hands on her hips and glared at him. Jasper only seemed to be more entertained at her response, for he was already grinning from ear to ear.

"That doesn't count as life saving."

He pointed at the rushing river. "If I hadn't caught you, you would've fallen in and drowned."

Cady poked him in the chest. "I can swim."

"Even the best swimmers drown." He winked before it was turned into a look of surprised pain as Cady jabbed him in the stomach with more force than it was initially intended.

"Are you trying to curse me?"

Jasper caught her hand and held it away from him. She tried to dislodge it from his grip, but he held it tight. "We're not here to bicker, Cady. There are still many things you must learn to be a Walker."

Cady relaxed her stance, just as Jasper released her hand.

"Alright then, thank you."

His face lit up. "That's more like it."

Before Cady make a comeback, Jasper pressed a finger against her lips and shook his head. She was tempted to bite it, but he drew his finger back before she could.

"Tonight, I will be teaching you how to merge your abilities with your Consort. This way, when you are engaged in a battle, you and your Consort will be fighting as one, in one body. Your Celestial Energy will be combined, and your real Walker powers will be asserted."