Chapter Forty: Worlds Shattered

"Can you believe in a future

left only to rock and creature?"

- Roy Fuller, "Harbour Ferry"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: The Colonel by Two Steps From Hell ( play it for epic effects!)

Media: The bottle

*****

Chapter Forty: Worlds shattered

Hate and love, deceit and truth, it didn't even matter anymore.

Cady held her head high, her straggly red hair drawn back carelessly in a bun which would spill out at any moment. The Gilded Tarot bounced against her waist as she marched onward to a spare meeting chamber where the Chaldean Order had gathered. She had no interest in them, and neither did she have any interest in Starlet affairs. All she wanted to do was to take the urn containing Jasper's ashes and ride off to the Hall of Shadows, enjoying the howl of the wind and the lash of rain against her face as she sped off into freedom.

Starlets and their prejudices, their cold, unforgiving systems, she wanted to be no part of it.

Somehow, if she focused hard enough, she could feel Jasper's presence next to her, encouraging her forward to face the Chaldean Order and whatever predicament they had in mind. Let them ask, she would not speak a word. Words were useless now. Cady would rather revel in silence, letting the hushes voices tell her stories.

Two Warriors gave her encouraging nods and pulled the doors open. Sitting in a U in the room, were the members of the Chaldean Order. At the head of the table was Master Isaac, all skin and bones with patches of thin hair. Cady didn't recognize the rest, but all wore the same regal red and scarlet robes and so many medallions it made her head spin. Firaun and Eli sat next to Master Isaac, according to their rankings. Master Calaeno, High Priest of the Hall of Elements was slumped before Firaun, shooting Cady venomous looks. Cady ignored him, too tired of their hate. The High Priestesses of the Hall of Warriors and All observed her quietly, brown and blue eyes dripping interest.

Her gaze fell upon her brother standing behind Firaun. He gave her a reassuring smile, a smile that he had always wore when Cady needed moral support and courage.

"You must be Cadence Astrid Gates," Master Isaac said, throwing out his arms in a welcoming gesture.

Cady gave him a slight nod as the doors closed with a bang.

"Cadence, I don't want to waste time going with pleasantries. You and I know why we are here. First question, are you really a Walker?"

Master Isaac's words held careful curiosity. Cady turned to her right, showing off the dancing splashes on her arm. The tension in the room increased by a notch.

"How did the Hall of Games not know of this?" Master Isaac turned to Firaun. "A Starlet is sent to their respective Halls according to their Affinities once they turn sixteen. You must have known, yet you sent her here."

Firaun stiffened. "I was worried that she might be hunted down by bounty hunters. There are still plenty of them running amok, hoping to find living Walkers even after the Great War to bitter old Oracles." He shot Master Calaeno a smothering glare as he spoke.

"Point taken." The old Starlet tapped the smooth table with his fingers. "But Firaun, hiding information from the Chaldean Order, especially regarding Hall issues is a crime. I would've stripped you of your title of it weren't for current demands."