Chapter Ten: A New Mentor

"A lovely girl gazing at the stars, and the stars who gazed back."

- Sarah J. Maas, "Throne of Glass"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: New Official trailer for THoG by the most amazing brookieismyname (DO WATCH IT!)

Media: Banner of Jasper

*****

Chapter Ten: A New Mentor

Cady waited for the stars to stir. She tugged her black cloak closer, blending into the shadows. Her two days were up, and her painted tattoo had already faded into a dark smudge. As silent as the night, she snuck out into the apothecary. Her heartbeat soared, thrilled to be in the dark--the territory of Walkers.

As expected, there was a hole in the fence. She pulled the shadows from the nearest trees and covered herself. The door was unlocked, and she easily slid in. The apothecary was a vast place, where built in cabinets replaced the walls, counters lined the entire chamber in neat rows, all filled with checks, balances, thick books, athames and whatnot. Some cabinets contained vials of curious brews, while others held labeled herbs. Turning around to double check the coast, she picked a few herbs from the first counter and a couple flowers from the next. Cady then bundled everything up in a cloth and tucked it under her arm.

When she was back in the shadows, she released Zoroth.

He appeared with a frown of disapproval stamped on his face.

"I can't believe you're actually stealing, Cady," he said. "I thought you were a nice kid."

"Shhh," she retorted. "It's for Jasper, okay? We owe him so much."

"He said, get him herbs if possible. You didn't have to steal."

Cady rolled her eyes, but Zoroth had managed to knock some guilt into her.

"Just this once, kay?"

Zoroth's lips lifted in amusement. "Come, we need to hurry."

Without another word, he wrapped his arms around Cady and took her flying to the Darkling Woods.

Jasper was outside, tending to the Moonflowers. His hair was wild in the breeze, falling over his eyes. He pushed them out of his face and grinned when Cady landed.

He pointed a dirt coated finger at the bundle under Cady's arm. "Is that herbs I see?"

She walked over and handed it to Jasper. "Straight from the apothecary."

Zoroth feigned a cough. "You mean, stolen from the apothecary."

Jasper's eyes widened in horrified surprise. "You actually stole the herbs for me? I like you."

"Stealing is a sin," Zoroth lectured Jasper. "Thought you should know."

"Is he always that annoying?" Jasper asked Cady, now sniffing the bundle.

Cady couldn't suppress a smile. "Sometimes."

Zoroth opened his mouth to defend his wounded pride, but Jasper rose and directed them into his hut. "Come, I think your tattoo has worn off by now."

Cady obliged. With Zoroth muttering incursions under his breath, they followed Jasper into the brilliantly lit hut. She scanned the room with interest. The last time she was here, she was rather confused by Jasper's sudden appearance and her fever. But now, she could take in everything in full detail.