Chapter Six: Son of Oracles

"And thus I see among these pleasant things

Each care decays, and yet my sorrow springs."

-Thomas, Lord Vaux, "Of a Contented Mind."

***

Soundtrack of the chapter: Dream by BrunuhVille

Media: Geranium flowers

***

Chapter Six: Son of Oracles

Eli cogitated outside the dormitory of the female Oracles, tapping his staff on the ground in deep thought. The voices inside were argumentative, urgent. The female Healer was probably debating to the other Oracles.

He felt a twinge of annoyance. He was the High-Priest-in-training, and soon to be the Master Healer in a few years. Yet, the current Head Healer-Mistress Carina refused to let him treat Cady because he happened to be a boy.

Eli pressed his ear against the door, trying to catch their conversation.

The door suddenly swung inward and he almost stumbled. He caught the door frame and steadied himself.

A pair of brown eyes narrowed, he bowed.

"Mistress Carina, how's Cady?"

The old Mistress shook her head. "Stubborn lass you got there, Master Sanguinis. She won't let me examine her, for Star knows what reason."

She drew out a vial from the folds of her robes and handed it to Eli. He held it up to the light, swirling the smoky green contents. He recognized the ingredients at one glance -Coriander, Rue and a hint of Knotwood; strong healing herbs, perfect for Oracles.

"Make sure she drinks this every night. It'll improve her Celestial Energy channels. Two of them seem to be blocked. I don't know what kind of training you're giving her but she is exhausted."

Eli scrunched up his brow.

"I don't understand. Every other Starlet undergoes similar training."

The Healer shook her head. "Like I said, she refused to let me examine her. I cannot free her blocked Celestial Energy unless I am allowed to. However, if she takes the potion as prescribed, she will be healed in a week."

Eli bowed again. "Thank you, Mistress Carina."

"My pleasure." The Mistress returned Eli's salute and walked off, her head shawl bobbing in the breeze.

Still clutching the vial, Eli entered the dormitory. The Oracles scattered at once, making way for him. Jo, however, stood by Cady's bed, her face sunken with worry and guilt.

"Elijah, it was an accident. I swear. The bee-"

Eli waved her down. "Oracles do not hold grudges. Don't worry."

He grabbed a chair and sat down before Cady, a small breath escaping his pursed lips. She was wrapped up like a cocoon in blankets. Her face was flushed with fever, and her flaming hair was plastered upon her sweaty brow. Little spasms came and went, but she seemed to be fighting hard.

Eli scrutinized her face. She was really beautiful. From the moment he spotted this Oracle by the gates, he was drawn to her like a firefly to light. The exotic tilt of her eyes, her fiery hair, everything called out to him. He never knew there would be a girl so fair in Esvanira. All the time during his training, his grandfather had warned him against the destructive power of love. Raphine swore that love would demolish everything he cares for, and loves. But the moment Eli set his eyes on Cady, he doubted someone so beautiful would wreck havoc.