Chapter Fifteen: Ice and Fire

"Charm is a product of the unexpected"

- Jose Marti -

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: The End of Days (It fits the end of the chapter VERY WELL!)

Media: heortgryre flowers

*****

Chapter Fifteen: Ice and Fire

"Don't look so stressed, Cady," Eli said. "I'm sure the Gourda can track down whoever was the last person to borrow that book."

"If that someone can vandalize a book under the very nose of a fussy Feorh, I bet he or she is very skilled."

Eli grabbed Cady by the shoulders and spun her toward him. His green eyes glinted under the morning sun, the exact color of the grass undulating up and down the crests of the Hall garden. The sun was a pent up orb of flames in the skies with dazzling golden light bursting forth.

"Cady, stop worrying."

Cady hung her head. "I'm sorry. It's just...I wish I can find a way to answer my own questions, as well as the dreams, the nightmares. I wish everything would just stop and give me some peace."

"I wish the same thing," he said wistfully. "I survived the war. But the shadows of it never left. Meditation numbs the wounds, but they never really recover."

They walked down the graveled path, marveling at the infinite pink flowers dotting the sidewalks.

Eli bent down and plucked one of the flowers and handed it to Cady. She blinked at the flower.

"These are heortgryre flowers, masculine twin to Moonflowers. Do you know what does heortgryre mean in the Old Tongue?"

"Uhh...I don't really know," she replied, still staring at the nodding flower.

Eli pushed up one of Cady's falling locks and placed the flower behind her right ear. Cady froze as his fingers brushed against her face, uncertain how to react.

"It means, love flowers." Color crept up his pale cheeks, turning them a bright of pink.

Cady looked at her feet, suddenly finding the patterns at the hem of her robes interesting.

"Cady..." Eli was about to say something when a loud rustle from the pile of bushes ahead caught his attention. As quick as lightning, he directed the tip of his staff at the moving branches. Energy gathered at the tip of the gem, ready to burst forth. Cady sprang into a defensive pose while Zoroth snarled in her head.

Someone dark suddenly emerged from the bushes with a most triumphant look on his face. In his hands were a bunch of weird looking roots with a bluish flower attached at the bottom.

Cady's jaw dropped. "Jasper?"

Jasper stared at them at first with shock, but it quickly melted away to confidence.

"Well, hello there Cady! What brings you here on this fine day?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" she hissed. "These are private grounds!"

The other boy only grinned wider and waved the roots in her face. "The Hall of Spirits is open to Oracles no matter from where and when."

"Who are you?" Eli asked, flabbergasted. "Did-did you just pop up from the bushes?" He then turned to Cady. "You know this guy?"