Chapter Eleven: Lady In Prison

"I never knew a voice."

-Edward Thomas, "The Unknown Bird"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Annihilation by Arn Andersson

Media: The Prison

*****

Chapter Eleven: Lady in Prison

The map was starting to get crumpled in Cady's hands as she rotated it in frustration, trying to make sense of the crisscrossing arrows and symbols. The number of corridors and chambers only added to Cady's headache. She had spent the past hour trying to locate the Hall library but without much luck. Twice she walked in to the laundry room, surprising the Feorhs within each time she did so.

"Where is that goddamned library?" she cussed under her breath when she bumped into another corner. With every turn she made, she found herself getting further away from the library. After scouring four floors without much avail, Cady found herself helplessly lost in the underground level.

There wasn't anyone around, not even a single Feorh. She decided to ditch the map and try to find her way back via instinct.

She racked her brains, trying to recall where the library was located the last time Eli showed them around. She was far too distracted by the sea to remember.

The air was stiff down the damp hallways, for there were no windows for ventilation. A constant foul odor permeated the air, like droppings left stale. Cady pinched her nose, wondering why the level was abandoned by the Oracles.

Walking up a flight of stairs, she heard a wail-the similar cry she had heard before. Cady was certain that the cry wasn't the wind, for it was twice she came upon it.

She stood still, straining her ears to catch the direction of the cry. It came bounding back, clearer than ever. Cady followed it. With every step she took, it became louder. Her heart was pounding as she descended another flight of stairs that led down a dark corridor.

The Celeslights ended at the mouth of the corridor. Cady squinted, trying to see through the darkness. She finally yanked one of the torches from its stand and leapt over the stone barrier.

She nearly slipped when her feet landed in a puddle of water. The foul stench of putrefaction wafted out from the narrow space. Instinctively, her hand flew to her nose, almost dropping the Celeslight torch.

Holding out the torch before her, her eyes roamed the corridor. Water dripped down from the ceiling in slow trickles, some droplets splashing on her hair. Disgusted, she shook her head and stepped away from the leaking parts. She wheeled about with the shimmering Celeslight lofted.

What is this place?

It looked like a dungeon, where criminals and prisoners were held captive and tortured. She was certain that the dark stains splattering the walls were blood. Broken chains littered the floor and curled around the rusted bars of empty cells.

Cady continued walking. Her shoes sent up splashes of murky waters as she plodded on, the hem of her robes already dripping wet.

The Hall of Spirits was supposed to be a sacred place for Starlets, free of torture and bloodshed. But this screamed tribulation.

There was a slight rustle, and Cady froze in her tracks. Her hands immediately went out to grab the shadows, ready to advance at the sight of any threat. The shadows slid out at once, winding around her fingers.