Chapter Thirty: Arise

"Echo your thoughts in ours? Destroy! Destroy!"

- Louis Macneice, "Brother Fire"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Dark Times are Upon Us by Immediate Music

Media: This is totally irrelevant but I just gotta show off a beautiful artwork a lovely friend made for me--it's a story header!

*****

Chapter Thirty: Arise

Eli tried to look away when Jasper and Cady entered the Healing chambers, laughing and holding hands. She didn't seem to notice that Eli was in the room. She whispered something to Jasper, who grinned and gave her hair a tug. Cady swung around, saw Eli and the smile slipped from her face. She coughed and shuffled her feet, stealing a glance at Jasper.

He wanted to stride over and punch that protective look from Jasper's face. It bugged him that he couldn't as he was his savior. Oh, Cady, he thought. "Why did you choose him?"

"Good morning," Jasper said casually. "What do you need?"

Eli tried not to stare at their intertwined hands. "I-I am here for the last dose of the Blood flower concoction."

The other boy gently shook Cady's fingers from his and strode over to the huge cabinet at the back of the room. He threw the doors open and picked a small vial from the neat row. Holding it up to the sunlight, he gave a satisfied nod at the scarlet liquid and handed it to Eli. "Glad to see you're recovering fast."

Cady dropped onto a stool. He couldn't help but to notice she was avoiding his gaze, playing with her thumbs again. His spirits lifted when he saw a golden gleam on her ring finger. She hadn't thrown away the Celestial ring; he might still stand a chance.

Jasper gave Eli a solid thump on the back: a friendly gesture, but Eli was in no mood for his attempt at friendship. He would rather return the pat with a punch.

"Are you ready for your crowning?" he asked. "You should be on your way to the main halls now."

"Planning to do so once I get this last dose." He raised the vial to Jasper's face, as if toasting to his health. He wrenched off the stopper and downed it in one go, ignoring the horrible ashy taste which lingered behind as it went down his throat. He plonked the glass bottle into the sink and straightened his robes.

"Jasper, mind if I have a word with Cady?" he asked, holding back his emotions, trying not to let them seep through the cracks of his façade. "You don't have to ask," he said. "I'll leave you two to it."

He rose and left the room, closing the door behind him. Eli felt a sudden coldness seep into the room, hanging around them like a heavy cloud that refused to dissipate. Cady brushed her hair aside, eyeing him with huge eyes.

Eli exhaled, his hands balling up the fabric of his robes. "Cady, listen...I don't want you to remember whatever happened the other day. Just, pretend it never happened. I don't want it to ruin our relationship."

Cady broke into a toothy grin. "I was hoping you would say that."

He held out a hand. "So, friends again?"

She shook it solemnly. "Friends."

Although Eli had a beaming smile on his face, he was shattering inside. He didn't want them to be mere friends, but rather something more than that. But at the same time, he didn't want Cady to hate him by forcing himself on her. He swore to himself that he would try, no matter how long it took, he would try to win her heart.