Chapter Thirty-Five: Farewell ( Part I)

"And out of his eyes two great tears rolled, like stones, and he died."

- Jon Silkin, "Death of a Son"

*****

Soundtrack of the chapter: Nightmare's End by Trevor Morris

Media: More legions of doom!

*****

Chapter Thirty-Five: Farewell ( Part I)

Eli didn't sleep that night. He couldn't. His eyes kept on flickering between the mountain passageways leading to the Hall of Games, hoping to see more help coming their way. The flanks and sharp spears of the undead army was blinding in the silvery light, reminding Eli about their fate when the sun rises. Dawn was so close, he could almost feel a spear of the undead going right through his own chest.

He shook his head hard. Sleep deprivation and anxiety was playing tricks with his mind.

Again, he glanced out to the distance. The Oracles and the other Starlets murmured uncertainly. Slowly, but surely, the sun started making its ascend, breaking through the bonds of the night and setting the sky ablaze with golden fire.

Something shifted in the mass of silver and white-a dark someone rode out from his army. Jasper was clad in full Walker armor-silver pauldrons and breastplates, dark flowing cloak trailing at the back. His chain mail clinked against each other, a melodious sound to warrior ears. Eli frowned. Jasper didn't have a single blade on him, not even a tiny sword. His sharp eyes, however, noted how his right hand would slide over to a dark leather pouch hanging by his belt.

Jasper titled his head, dark eyes flashing. "Your time is up, Oracles. Do you surrender?"

Eli drew himself up to his full height, standing tall so that the morning sun reflected across his golden curls. He would not give Jasper the pleasure of seeing the Oracles as weak Starlets, and his subjects shared his thoughts.

"We will not surrender."

The Oracles broke into loud cheers, dowsing the miserable atmosphere that lingered not too long ago.

The sneer on Jasper's face was bloodcurdling. "So be it."

He clicked his fingers. Everything happened at once. The first few rows of skeletons charged. The archers positioned at the gate tower and the battlements let their arrow loose. The song of arrows flying from bows and swords sliding clear of their sheaths was intoxicating. To the Oracles' horror, the arrows zipped through the skeletons, leaving them unharmed. The arrows were made to take down living opponents, to pierce organs and rip flesh, not on undead enemies.

Eli waved his hands. Huge chunks of stone were tipped down from the machicolations. The giant boulders groaned, crushing the skeletons. The crunch of bones was deafening. Seeing how easily the enemy was crushed, the Starlets within the Hall broke into loud cheering, some even hugging each other.

Jasper stared on, unmoving, expressionless, his hand still resting on his hip.

It cost the Oracles precious time to realize their mistake.

The legions of doom suddenly parted into two neat rows. A horrible cry sounded. The earth started quaking, shaking trees and sending rocks flying. A silhouette made its way from the rising dust. When the brown fog settled, Eli found himself staring at a Decanate so monstrous, anyone would put out their eyes. No, he thought. The carcass of a Decanate.