Chapter Ten

Dear Scott,

It has been said

That there comes a point

When in life 

It is necessary 

To rid ourselves 

Of the poison within

It has been said 

She’s the poison

In you

The venom bleeding 

Into each crack

Each crack of your broken soul

And you too lost, to see

Although this may be true

In my heart, I have come to believe

That while she poisons you

Honey, it's you that poisons me

You come into my life

You steal my breath away

You sing me songs of heartbreak

Knowing it's my heart that comes next

And yet I cannot rid myself 

Of the poison flowing through 

It's draining me of life each day

Of sleep at night, of thoughts to think

It's you and me, me and you

It's what we do and who we are

All the while I'm saving you

And here you are, draining me

There were twenty minutes or so left of lunch as I made my way to the detention room. The lights in the hallway seemed dim compared to the bright sky outside. My steps grew faster as I thought back on the exchange between Scott and me in the parking lot. I had kept my cool the entire time, not letting the butterflies in my stomach phase me. Now, alone in the hallway, I giggled to myself like a middle school girl. I felt my cheeks grow warm again as they began to hurt from my excessive smiling. Wow, I was such a dork. 

To my relief, the detention room was only a few feet away. I stopped a foot or so before the door. Peering in without making myself visible to anyone inside. I saw Steven’s curly blond hair resting on a desk near the back. The surrounding desks were empty as he suffered detention alone. 

I reached forward, grabbing the handle and pressing down before pulling the door open. His head lazily popped up as he curiously looked to see who was coming to accompany him in his suffering. Sleepiness coated his blue eyes as he rubbed them. Recognizing me in the dimly lit room, he smiled.

“Chey!” He called out. The detention teacher, his back to me, lifted his head, listening for me to say something. I took a step into the room, flipping my hair out of my face. I had never once been in detention during my time in high school, it just wasn't for me I guess. Being in the room as a visitor was enough to convince me I never wanted to earn a detention. Sitting in the dark, remaining completely silent for an entire lunch period was certainly not on my list of to do's. 

“Missy? What are you doing here?” The high-back computer chair swiveled to face me, revealing my English teacher. 

“Oh hey, Mr. Mike!" I breathed a sigh of relief, expecting a different teacher to turn around and begin yelling at me to leave.Prisoners were never allowed visitors between forth and fifth period, but I knew Mr. Mike would make an exception for me.