Chapter Seventeen

Dear Scott,

I now am full of giggles

A smile never left at home

Scott, I feel like I’m going crazy 

Going crazy just for you

Oddly enough 

We act old and reserved

Normality fills us through

Yet when we’re apart

We both know what 

You want to say

I want to hear it so

What’s weird is that 

All of this time

You broke my heart in two

But each half of it

Was still in like

Was still in like with you.

Image:

The sun dancing along 

The edge of the lake

Glistening in the evening

Falling below the earth

Until tomorrow

My heart beating softly

Flows to the movement

The water creates

I turn to see

The shadows that fall

Along the edges of

Your childish smile

Walking up behind me, Scott stopped at my locker after school, “Alterra tonight?”

I dropped my books on the bottom shelf before turning to face him. “Sure,” I smiled. “Is something on your mind,” I asked, noticing a distant look filling his eyes.

“Yeah, sort of. I don’t know, maybe we could go right after school,” he looked up at me, his eyes meeting mine with a hint of desperation.

I thought for a moment, “I just have to run home and check in with my 'rents, I could meet you there? Or you can come pick me up, or I can pick you up… whatever works best for you,” I returned to my backpack, zipping up the middle pocket before closing and locking my locker. 

“Either way. I can pick you up or you can come get me,” seemingly forced, he smiled softly at me before patting my shoulder. “I’m gonna head home then, just text me when you can go.”

“Ok,” I answered worriedly to his back as he turned to leave me. 

Locking my locker, I tried not to think about Scott, running through a check list in my mind of all of the notebooks I needed to take home that I knew would never be opened for homework. People passed me on my way to the parking lot, giggling and shouting in the chaos that ensued each day after the final bell. Keeping my strides steady, I made my way to my car without making eye contact or chatting with anyone around me. I'll start my English homework when I get home from hanging with Scott, I assured myself, trying to keep my mind off of the worried look in Scott's eyes. There was something he hadn't told me moments earlier in front of my locker. Something that he was hiding from me.