Chapter Eleven

Dear Scott,

I feel as though 

That last bit’s a lie

You know it to be true

Scott I’ve hurt

I’ve cried

I’ve smiled

I’ve laughed

My heart just can't decide

You can’t erase 

The last few months

Oh how I wish you could

But they happened, dear

They’re over and done 

Now we’ll see 

Just where we go...

The question remains

Do I still want you?

The answer still unknown

Scott, I tried for so long

So long and so hard

That now suddenly 

I don’t know 

What it is I want

Scott, maybe we 

Were doomed at the start

Now maybe it’s time 

To just let it run its coarse 

Crossing my legs, I waited patiently as the women prepared the family ‘drunch.’ My mother had been saying the entire drive up that she hoped we wouldn’t arrive late, leaving her useless in the preparation of our late lunch-early dinner with her brother’s family. We arrived on time, of course, and my mother rushed to the kitchen while my father and I showed ourselves to seats in the family room, both of us exhausted from our long weeks. 

My aunt and uncle had a nice house in an expensive development area about an hour north of our house. Complete with three floors, a large kitchen, four bathrooms, a living room, a “private” family room, and who knows how many bedrooms; a family of twelve could have fit comfortably in the tall brick structure. With both of their kids in their mid-twenties and long gone, it came as a surprise that my aunt and uncle managed to inhabit the entire house on their own. 

The private family room was a small square room off of the entrance hallway near the kitchen. A thick wooden door, closed at all times, ensured its private setting. Touching each wall, a wide leather couched wrapped around the room. Near the door, stood a tall entertainment stand that held a big screen digital TV and a variety of other electronic accessories for the media-centered room. Below the TV, alphabetically organized by genre, my aunt had stacked all of their favorite films. 

“What about we watch When Harry Met Sally?” my dad asked, pointing to an orangey cover near the end of the Romantic Comedy section.

“Sounds perfect!” I said as I nestled into the fluffy cushions and covered myself with a warm comforter that had been hanging over an armrest.  

The movie started as my dad and I hid away from my mom’s family in the living room and kitchen. We loved our family; sadly, it wasn’t uncommon to find my dad or me feeling extremely out of place with that side of the family. My dad’s family was full of wildly creative people that lived chaotic lives, while my mother's family lived and grew up in an organized family setting and seemed to view the world in black and white.