Chapter 2: Friends and Friday Night

"Luce, let's go, we're going to be late!" Maria's frantic voice pushed itself past the wood of her door.

"Since when are you all punctual?" Lucienne replied, putting the last pin in her honey colored hair. A moment later she came out of her bedroom to see her friend standing by the door, impatience writ in every line of her short frame.

"You know damn well since when, now let's go!" Maria's dark eyes were narrowed in frustration and it was obvious she was barely holding herself back from shoving her friend through the door.

Lucienne laughed, grabbing her purse on the way out. Maria was picking her up so they could head to Aion. Her friend had a serious crush on one of the regulars who always left just after happy hour. The fact they were cutting it a bit close meant that Maria was flat out desperate to leave.

"So are you actually going to talk to the man this time, maybe even learn his name, or will you just stare and drool like usual?" she teased her friend, her grey eyes twinkling in amusement.

Maria gave her a dirty look. "Just you wait. One of these days I'll get my revenge on you, and payback's a bitch," she muttered, running a hand through her mane of dark locks.

"Okay, okay," Lucienne laughed as they got into the car. "I'm sorry, and I'll lay off. It's just that we've been doing this for every night for a week. Maybe you need a plan to get him to notice you?"

Maria sighed, "Yeah I know, and I get it. If we were reversed, I'd be telling you to shit or get off the pot by now."

Lucienne burst out laughing, and a few moments later Maria joined in, losing some of the tension from her shoulders. "Oh my..." she finally gasped out. "Shit or get off the pot? That's awesome!"

Maria grinned, "My mother actually says it, but I had to train myself away from it the day it slipped out in a meeting with a VP. Needless to say it dropped like a lead balloon, and I had to do some serious repair work."

"Oh my, I can only imagine, especially considering how uber conservative your top brass are."

"Yeah, no kidding. I swear they require all upper management to shove a stick up their ass as a demonstration of loyalty or something," Maria replied with a grimace before both girls devolved into fits of laughter again.

A few minutes later they were both seated at a small wooden table, and Lucienne was ordering for both of them while Maria once again stared at her crush. The man was at his usual table, his green eyes staring out the window while he leaned back and rubbed a hand across his short blonde hair. She had to admit the man was attractive, but something about him made her hesitant. She didn't get any bad feelings about him, just that something was... different, and she didn't know what.

Screw it. I'm about as likely to figure it out tonight as I have been any other night. It's a good thing I know what Maria likes. Of course it helps when we've been coming every single night, Lucienne sighed to herself. A moment later the waitress approached and she gave their drink orders after exchanging a few pleasantries.

They were now officially regulars at Aion, meaning most of the wait staff recognized them on sight, and this waitress was particularly good at giving them suggestions for interesting off-the-menu drinks. I really do need to try and remember this girl's name, Lucienne thought to herself. That way I can make sure to ask for her in future.

"His name's Jason," the waitress suddenly told them.

Maria's startled gaze fixed on the waitress, who just gave her an amused glance. "I don't... I mean," Maria took a deep breath. "Thank you."

"No problem, I just figured you'd like to get a name to go with the man you've been watching," she replied with a wink. "He's polite but quiet and always eats alone."