Chapter 27: Alpha Reception

Hey everyone! Sorry for the extremely long delay. I had various family visiting for a month and a half (one set would leave and the next came in lol). Also in the midst of that I was able to convince my grandparents to move here (they're approaching 90 and need a little extra help), which means I'm helping with a cross country move. I actually just flew back after spending a few days with them to get things prepared and set up the movers for next month. Of course regular life still goes on with me heading out for work travel next week, and still in charge of the silent auction and prizes for a fundraising event next month for a local nonprofit. In short, my schedule exploded in a lot of ways which is why I'm so behind. 

Anyway, to make up for it, you're getting several chapters all at once since this whole section really had to be written together for it to work properly. Thank you everyone for sticking it out with me! You guys are awesome!

----------------------------------------------

Eogan stood on the edge of the Circle in which he'd arrived, Reece's young Sidhe mage directly opposite him. The woman wasn't of great power, but her skill, efficiency and creativity were impressive, making her more effective than most mages with access to far more resources. In their conversations he'd discovered that she worked for Lord Reece in exchange for a safe place in which to conduct her experiments in working magic around human technology.

Ordinarily, Sidhe powers interacted rather oddly with human technology, creating unpredictable and unexplainable results. At least they had been until Rhianna had chosen to study them. Not only was she the only Sidhe mage he knew of that could use her abilities safely around electronics, she was currently taking the next step and learning how to integrate her power so that both were enhanced.

Eogan was very impressed by both her tenacity as well as her decision not to accept the lower ranking position she would have been trapped into had she remained in the Sidhe court. He also intended to take the opportunity to learn from her and planned to extend an open invitation for her to visit his clan. After all, though Unsleir power wasn't quite so reactive, there were still certain things he had to be cautious about attempting in the human realm.

"I am prepared whenever you wish to begin, Kleannagh," Rhiannon spoke respectfully from across the circle.

Eogan nodded at her, signaling his intention before extending something of an energetic hand to allow them to mesh energies. She accepted and once they found balance, he proceeded to tap into his bloodline and delicately tracked Lucienne's brother. He felt Rhiannon watching and the moment he encountered the power that surrounded the boy and his sisters, she moved to do a very subtle, complicated and beautiful bit of work that gently held the power at bay without alerting its owner.

He paused for a moment to admire the sheer beauty of what Rhiannon had done, and then once again moved forward, quietly continuing his trace until he finally had unrestricted access to his great great grandson. Now we will find out just where my blood is, and who is involved in this little game.

*********************

Michael leaned back at his desk chair, giving careful consideration to the wolves before him. While a great deal of what they'd had to say wasn't particularly surprising, he hadn't expected their Alpha to be quite so bold, or so cruel.

I believe it is more than time for this particular despot to learn his place, he thought, quickly deciding the best course of action, realizing with a sinking feeling that he would have to hide the plan from Lucienne for the time being. Her reactions needed to be natural with no suspicion of foreknowledge, or it would create difficulties for them both. I pray her anger will not be too great with me, was his last thought before he spoke the men waiting for his reply.