Chapter 36: Coming to a Head

I released two chapters at once, so make sure you read Chapter 35 before this one. :)

==========================================================

Michael sighed in disgust, eyeing Cooper's collapsed form before turning the full weight of his gaze back to Weston. The silence stretched between them, once again amping up the tension in the room.

Suddenly one of Cooper's men broke and drew his weapon. Lucienne saw the barest flicker of movement from one of Michael's vampire guards before the man fell dead to the floor, a knife in his throat.

Michael swept his golden gaze over the rest of the Hunters, allowing the barest hint of contempt onto his features. "I trust there will be no further ill-conceived attempts at assassination. I know not what Cooper's plan was when he brought you here, but allow me to inform you that your lives continue solely at my pleasure. The Inquisitor and his squad would undoubtedly pose a challenge, but I believe even he would be hard pressed to escape alive should I demand blood," Michael stated, tilting his head briefly at Weston.

Lucienne had to give the man credit, he was able to handle this entire situation calmly and face Michael without flinching. Additionally his squad was equally controlled, showing a level of discipline she didn't see very often.

"My apologies, Lord Reece. I don't know how this region came to this state, but you have my word that the leadership and discipline issues will be addressed," Weston replied, the threat in his voice clear making several of Cooper's men blanch.

"As for you," Weston continued, turning his attention to Cooper's men, his tone growling in anger, "Any idiot that takes it into their fool head to attack a Vampire Lord without cause will lose all Hunter rank and protection, and I'll kill you myself for being too stupid to live if Lord Reece's people don't kill you first. Understood?"

He waited a moment for the sharp replies of 'Yes, sir,' that chorused from Cooper's men before turning his attention back to Michael, his tone once again calm. "It seems there's more going on here than meets the eye, Lord Reece. I can hazard a few guesses and would be interested in working together."

"Indeed," Michael replied, unwilling to elaborate or commit to anything just yet. Weston seemed to understand that Michael didn't intend to add anything further, and continued.

"First, this situation warrants another look over the claims against you. I think it's pretty clear without an interview that Lucienne Moore is indeed your Ruach, and is here of her own free will," Weston said, nodding his head at her and flashing a quick smile.

Michael didn't return his smile. In fact, his face only grew colder. "You neglected to verify the data before storming my grounds and threatening me?" Michael asked in mild though extremely dangerous tone of voice.

"Please forgive the oversight," Weston replied with a slight bow, his appearance one of calm though there was tension in his jaw. "My team and myself had just debarked the plane when Cooper rushed us here. He was very insistent that we didn't have a moment to spare. I should have questioned him and Brianna more thoroughly, but Brianna has a long and extremely distinguished record of service. I had believed her to be trustworthy."

"I shall take that into account when she wakes," Michael replied coldly. "However this does not excuse her actions, nor does it excuse yours, as you are well aware."

"True, but I think it's clear you don't want to deal with killing us, even if you're within your rights," Weston replied, his tone a simple statement of fact. "Besides, wouldn't it be beneficial to have us investigating this mess from our side of the fence?"