Chapter 8: Conversations

So sitting in an airport gives you time to write. Here's the next chapter earlier than usual! :)

================================================================

Lucienne smiled. "Moving to the couch actually sounds pretty good," she replied, standing up from his lap and caressing his cheek. She made a quick side trip to put her dishes in the sink and rejoined Michael. He was still standing, apparently waiting for her to join him before taking a seat.

Giving him an impish look she shoved him down onto the white cushions with a laugh. And I have no doubt he let me do that. After all, the man's a vampire. I doubt very much I could move him if he didn't want to move. Huh... now why does that feel familiar? she wondered before dismissing the thought to focus on Michael.

She knelt and placed her hands on his leg, massaging his trouser clad calf and slipping off his shoe. She rubbed his foot before slowly repeating the process on his other leg, never breaking eye contact.

His gold eyes burned brighter while he watched her with the same intensity as a hawk watching a rabbit. Not that I mind being the rabbit in this case, she thought smiling at him before sliding her hands back up his legs as she rose. She almost hesitated once she passed his knee, but threw caution to the wind and continued up his thighs.

His eyes flashed and he grabbed her, pulling her down on the couch against him. He lightly nibbled on her neck. "You are trouble," he whispered softly against her ear, his breath making her shiver with desire.

He gave her a teasing smile and wrapped his arms around her to keep her close. She cuddled against him, resting her head on his shoulder and draped an arm around his waist. A feeling of peace filled her and she unconsciously rubbed small circles on his stomach.

He gave a soft hiss and moved his hand down, entwining his fingers with hers. She flushed slightly when she saw the reason. "Sorry," she said, though she couldn't help giggling a little.

He shook his head, though his lips twitched in a smile. "Like I said, trouble" he replied, while his thumb softly caressed her hand. She couldn't believe the shocks of pleasure that simple motion sent through her.

Her eyelids fluttered while she tried to keep from moaning in pure bliss. "Look who's talking," she replied, huskily.

He chuckled before turning to suckle her earlobe. "You have no idea," he whispered, the promise in his voice making her pant in desire.

He pulled back, a teasing look in his eye before his face became serious once again. She knew what he had to say was important, so she composed herself and waited for him to begin.

"The bonding of Ruach joins together the mind and heart of the pair. The process builds new pathways in the mind and resistance to their formation will create errors in the structure. The effect is rather like the body receiving incorrect blueprints," he told her, waiting for her to nod her understanding before continuing.

"I once visited a pair where the bonding did not go as planned," he said, his body stiffening and his tone going flat. "One partner's mind was burned out till he was the mental equivalent of a ten year old. This means his Ruach is bonded for all eternity to someone intended to be his equal, but who has become like his child instead. Unless one of them is killed, they will live forever that way."

Lucienne gasped, comprehending the enormity of the situation between that particular pair, and Michael nodded at her in understanding before continuing. "Most failed attempts end with the death of one or both partners, though occasionally a failed attempt has pushed one or both towards insanity. Fortunately the number of failures and partial failures is low, but the risk is significant enough to exercise caution."