Deep in Thought

At 17 everyone has their driver's license, right? Wrong.

My mom says that if i want to go to driving school and get my driver's license, first i need to buy my own car. And to buy my own car, i need money. And to get money, i need to work. And to work, i need a job. So yeah, basically i need a job.

I called Heather and asked if she knew of any available jobs.

"Well the only job i know that's hiring is Sell Me Soda, and i work there, so yeah," she told me on the phone.

"That's great, maybe i can work there too!" i said.

I went to the place and asked them if i could work. And guess what? THEY SAID OF COURSE.

IM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IF I GET THIS JOB, I CAN GET MONEY, AND IF I GET MONEY, I'LL GET A CAR, WHICH MEANS I CAN GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL!!!!!

"Thank you so so so much," i told the manager, he told me to call him Nick.

"No prob kiddo," he smiled.

"So when do i start?"

"Next Thursday," he handed me my hat and work uniform.

"Thanks again!" i called out as i left the store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was Friday and i totally forgot about the Islamic classes. I sighed and took out my laptop.

"Shelina!! Go outside and get some fresh air!" my mom called from the kitchen.

I put my away my laptop. "Okay," i mumbled.

I took my little sister with me (it's probably not the best idea to take a 4-year old with you) and we walked towards Unicorn Park.

"LOOK, ITS MR. CARRIE!" said Mehreen (my annoyingly loud sister.

She pulled me towards the bench where a young man was sitting. Mr. Carrie? He looks like he's 15.

"Hello Mehreen," he smiled at her.

Then he looked up at me. "Hi, you must be Mehreen's sister?"

"Yes," i smiled.

"Well nice to meet you," he held out his hand.

A hundred thoughts jumped into my head at once. Should i shake it? Should i pretend i don't see his hand? Well that wouldn't work cuz im staring at it. WHAT DO I DO?

"Um, i don't really," i started to say.

"Oh im sorry," he smiled apologetically. "I forgot."

"Forgot what?" i asked.

"That Muslim women are not supposed to shake hands with males," he said.

"Oh wow, i thought you didn't know," i chuckled.

He laughed. "Of course i know, I've studied Islam for a couple of years. I even thought of converting to the religion once."

I was shocked. Like super shocked. "What stopped you?"

"Well, i still love the religion, but every time i try to convert, my head just keeps asking me 'What will your family say?' What will people think of you?'" he confessed.

"Mr. Carrie," i said. "Let me tell you something." I realized this was my chance to give dawah (invitation to Islam.)

"C'mon, im only 23, call me Michael," he laughed. "By the way, how old are you?"

"17," i said, trying to not escape the subject about converting.

"Oh wow, so which high school do you go to?"

"Starblue Academy," i said, annoyed. He was obviously trying to change the subject.

"Really?! My sister goes to that school!" he exclaimed.

"Cool, what's her name?" i replied, not interested in talking to him anymore.

"Heather," he said.

HEATHER?

"Heather?! Me and her are really good friends!" i said turning to him.

He smiled. "Wow that's cool, what's your name?"

"Shelina Mahani," i said.

"Wow what a lovely name," he complimented.

"Thanks," i said softly. He succeeded in changing the subject. But i had to changed it back.

"Look, about converting to Islam. Yes, your family might be shocked, and yes, your friends will say something about it. But does that matter? You told me you studied Islam and since you wanted to convert that means you know Islam is true. How can you let your family and friends stop you from accepting the truth?" i asked.

He didn't say anything but i knew he was deep in thought, thinking about what i had just asked.

"Listen, take my number. If you change your mind call or text me," i gave him my number.

"Thanks," he said quietly, still deep in thought.

I got off the bench and called Mehreen. We said good-bye to Michael A.K.A Mr.Carrie, and walked towards our apartment.

"He's my favorite teacher!" yelled Mehreen.

I smiled, praying that he would be guided to Islam.