The American Flag

I took out the school uniform from my wardrobe. The principal said I could wear a long navy blue skirt instead of the short one for religious purposes. So a white a long sleeve shirt with a plain blue long skirt would be my permanent outfit for the whole entire year. Maybe I could add some accessories, like necklaces and bracelets. And I could wear a patterned hijab to give my outfit some color.

I ended up adding a blue stone long necklace and wore a red and blue striped hijab. Yeah I pretty much looked like the American flag.

I've never been this excited to go to school. I mean, me and Adam actually talked. And he's actually nice to me. And we're actually friends. That's an accomplishment.

"Hey, you look so cute," Heather walked towards me. I put my books in my locker.

"Thanks girl," I smiled.

"Wow, it doesn't even seem like you're wearing a uniform!" she exclaimed.

"It's probably my scarf," I laughed.

We walked down the hall and passed by the office. As I walked into our homeroom I heard a deep voice call my name. At first I thought it was Adam, so I quickly turned and smiled. But I only came face to face with the principal. I don't even know his name. I'm serious.

"What do you think you're wearing?" he asked, looking at my outfit disapprovingly.

"The um.. The school uniform," I told him, guiltily.

"No, im talking about the colorful scarf," he said, in a stern, cold voice. "You are ruining the purpose of the uniform. You're scarf just grabs more attention. It's so colorful. Your scarf can only be navy blue, white, or black. Come with me to my office. Let's see if we can find a scarf in the Lost and Found box."

"What, wait...no, I promise this is the last time," I stuttered.

"No way! I cant have you walking like that around my school. That completely ruins our uniform rule. If people see you, they'll try to copy you. Come right now, or else you'll get a Friday detention," he said.

I followed him to the office on the edge of tears. Yeah I know, I'm such a baby. I just get emotional when grown-ups yell or talk to me angrily. Yeah, completely uncool.

"Okay check this Lost and Found box, and try to find a dark colored scarf," he told me.

I looked through the box and found a small, ugly gray winter scarf. No way. I tried to look for some more scarves, but there were none. Okay, I am NOT wearing this scarf. Its like 5 inches wide and 12 inches long. No way, no way Jose. So I put the scarf all the way in the bottom, under all the clothes.

"Um, Mr...." I said, trying to remember his name. "I cant find any scarves here, so I guess i'll just lea-"

"No wait! Let me check," he said coming towards the box.

He pulled out a bunch of clothes. Then he dug his hand deep into the box. "Found one."

He pulled out the same ugly winter scarf.

"Okay that's not gonna cover all of my hair," I told him.

"Then put it on top of your colorful scarf," he said.

I put it lightly over my scarf. "Now i stand out way more than i did before."

"No you look fine, now head to class. Here, let me give you a pass," he said, as he scribbled something on a piece of paper. "Go straight to class."

I took the pass and went straight to the bathroom. I literally jumped when i saw myself in the mirror. I looked so bad. I mean anyone with a fuzzy, old winter scarf on their head would look bad.

I took it off and wrapped it around my neck. There, much better.

Then, as i walked towards my class, i saw Adam walking to the boy's bathroom. He turned to look at me.

I immediately smiled and waved.

I waited for him to smile back, but he didn't. He just headed inside the bathroom.