Pretty?

My mood completely changed and I was about to fall apart. Adam looked at me but didn't say "hi," or wave. He didn't even smile.

Maybe he had mistaken me for someone else. Or maybe he didn't recognize me because of my colorful scarf.

Or maybe he realized how stupid he was to call a girl like me "pretty." Maybe he regrets talking to me and wants to back off.

On the edge of tears I headed to class. The teacher was in the middle of talking about the Pythagorean Theorem when I walked in. I handed him the pass. As I took my seat, I felt eyes glued on me. When I looked around I saw everyone staring at me.

It was probably my colorful scarf. And the old, gray winter scarf around my neck. Which was extremely suffocating. Like I was already wearing 3 layers and a scarf. I don't need an extra ugly gray winter scarf on top of it all.

I took of the gray scarf and tucked it inside my hand bag.

Okay, people were still looking at me. Like have you never seen a gray winter scarf before?

I tried to ignore everyone's stares and concentrate. But my mind drifted to Adam and how he ignored me. It killed me, like is there something I don't know? Did I say anything wrong? Was I supposed to do something?

For the next few days I decided to pretend that nothing happened. That me and Adam never met. And that we weren't friends. And yes, it did kill me inside.

"Hey, are you okay?" Heather asked, as we walked home.

"Yeah, im fine, why?" I asked.

"You look... like you saw a ghost or something," she said, while observing my face.

I faked a laugh. "No im fine, don't worry."

She smiled, still obviously worried. "Well, let's go to mall. Maybe that will make you feel better."

"The mall is like an hour away," I reminded her.

"So then lets go to that Bagel Shop, and we can have tea or something," she said.

"Okay," I said. I mean at least she was trying to help.

We ordered some munchkins and two cups of tea.

"Okay, look... i'm not stupid. I mean, you haven't said a word today. And every time I crack a joke, you fake a squeaky laugh. It's obvious that something's bothering you," Heather told me.

Okay I really need to work on hiding my inner feelings and emotions.

"Um, no... it's just I was feeling... kind of sick," I lied.

"Is it Adam?" she asked.

Okay now that's creepy, how does she know?!

I looked up at her with shock in my face. "How di-"

"You told me, remember?" she laughed.

No... I did not remember. I didn't tell her that.

"oh, um..." I said.

"Well, what did he do?" she asked.

Okay normally I wouldn't tell her but right now I felt like letting it all out. So I told her everything, about how I met him, how we talked in the park, how he told me I was pretty.

"Whoa, whoa, hold on," she stopped me. "Adam called you pretty?! He never called any girl pretty ever before. He's a major jerk. Every girl that likes him is beyond beautiful but he treats them like mosquitos. And now you're telling me he called you pretty?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked accusingly. Was she trying to say i'm not pretty? "Okay see, that's why I didn't want to tell you."

"No.. no! that's not what I mean. Im just saying im really surprised. Im so happy for you! You have no idea!" she said while smiling.

"Yeah well now he's pretending he doesn't know me," I said

She sighed. Okay that sigh sounded like she was happy and relieved more than worried or upset.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing...im just confused. Like why would he do that?" she asked. But her voice sounded so fake all of a sudden.

"Um, yeah, well... I gotta go home. My mom's probably worried. So um..." I started to say.

"Call me," she smiled innocently.

"yeah," I said regretting everything. I should have not told her. I mean, the least thing she gave me was comfort.