He's my Friend~ Maria and Altair

I literally just thought of this when I was gonna take a nap and I just had to write it. Sorry if anything is misspelled, and it's probably gonna be a short one shot. I'm counting this as a Malik one shot :P and let me know what else you want to see more of.

"Malik is your friend yet you let him bring you down. Why?", Maria asked one night while she and Altair sat on a bench.

It was a cold night and the couple went out for a walk through the market. Eventually, they sat down to just relax.

Altair furrowed his brows, "Bring me down?"

The woman gave him a warm smile. "He's the only one who dares to speak back to you. Besides me, that is.", she quickly explained.

The cold breeze was refreshing and the night, peaceful. The streets were empty and quiet.

"We have respect for each other. I don't take his jokes seriously, they're just plain sarcasm.", Altair chuckled and waved his hand.

Maria shook her head. "That's not what I asked. You let him make fun of the mistakes you've made. If someone else did the same, you would have their head."

Altair scoffed and thought about what she was saying.

Yes, he let Malik tease and make fun of the old and recent mistakes he's made but it means nothing.

Or maybe it did. Altair had thought he owed the man something before. A life perhaps. From the temple all that time ago. Kadar's life.

"You know the story of how Malik lost his arm, don't you?", he asked the woman beside him.

Maria shook her head before leaning back against the stone wall behind them. "The temple."

Altair nodded along, "He didn't just lose his arm that day. Malik had a younger brother."

The Assassin proceeded in explaining what had happened in detail, never missing anything. The man he'd killed and how he was praised for it by Kadar, how Malik scolded him for everything he did.

And in the end, he told her how the one armed man blamed him for his loss. That it was Altair's fault for not taking his warning seriously.

"I owe that man much more than he thinks.", Altair told her.

Maria thought it over before responding, "And so you'll let him do what he pleases because you still feel guilty." , she said.

The other man nodded in agreement. There was no one else out at that time of night. Altair and Maria were alone.

"We somehow agreed that what we did as younger men was wrong. That we were both wrong. I apologized to Malik but he didn't forgive me. Not because what I did was unforgivable but because I had changed, according to him.", Altair quickly added.

What he and Malik had was respect. They only fooled around, never anything serious. The two men grew up in the same place with the same set of rules.

"It's difficult to explain, Maria.", he finally admitted with a sigh.

The woman lent her head on his shoulder as she exhaled and relaxed.

"He is your friend. That's all there is to it.", she smiled.

Maria was right.

Altair smiled in content as he thought her words over. Yes, Malik was his friend and that was that.

He chuckled before standing and helping Maria up. She would probably fall asleep at that exact moment if he let her.

"Let's go home."

I told you it would be short. Idk it's just a little nonsense that I had to write.

What do you want to see more of? Honestly because Idk wat else you guys want more of.

Comment or questions, go ahead and leave them. Anything else you can totally just message me I don't mind at all.

Also, go ahead and check out my Modern AC one shots. I did a few already and work on those every once in a while so check those out.

Thanks for reading.