Chapter 23

Thinking back to almost a year ago, I have no idea how i've ended up here...

I sat on the edge of the bed, counting through the viles of antitode inside the inconspicuous box, so preoccupied that I didnt notice Eric standing in the doorway, staring at me.

I looked up with a start and he frowned slightly.

"You ok little one?" he asked softly. He was a completely different person to who I had met when I had first come to Dauntless.

I nodded to him and faked a small smile.

He entered the room and placed a small pile of grey clothes down beside me. Looking at them, I sighed. It was time to get ready.

I put the grey dress and leggings on then placed my usual black dauntless jeans and jacket over the top. Light grey would stick out like a sore thumb in this black hole. As I come out from the bedroom Eric looks up at me from the sofa and steps slowly over to me, taking my hands in his.

"This will work Ari...It's going to be ok."

I smiled and nodded. I didn't believe him for one second but I couldn't say that out loud. Otherwise what would be the point of all this?

"Ready to go?"

"Ready as I'll ever be" I replied. What little light came into Dauntless had now faded and as we left Eric's apartment the dim lights that lined the corridors were needed to not walk into walls. The viles were safely in a cross bag that Eric wore across his chest and the faint tinkling sound of glass on glass could be heard in the silent hallway.

We moved quietly and quickly through the maze of Dauntless until we reached the train tracks and ran for the train, Eric helping me on board as the train sped up.

I sat on the floor with my back against the cool metal wall.

"Ari? You haven't said a word to me in hours....are you alright?" Eric's smooth voice broke through the silence like a thunder clap. I looked up into his eyes and felt my frown melt into a smile.

"Im sorry. I just....what if this doesn't work? We don't even know how many people the serum has been used on. People are scared of Janine. What if they don't fight back? What if she still wins?"

"Then we will fight alone....but I'm not living this way anymore Aria. If others want to then that's up to them. We already know Abnegation are on our side and we know Erudite aren't. We will cross these paths if we come to them but until then, you need to have faith. If we don't believe in the plan how can we make others believe it?"

He made perfect sense. As usual. I just didn't understand how he could be so calm while we were on our way to try to overthrow the leader of everything we knew.

Before long we were at Abnegation, Marcus and Andrew were waiting with a small number of Abnegation members beside the tracks. I jumped down and turned to Eric, but he wasn't beside me.

As I looked back up to the train still speeding down the tracks I saw his face peer from round the door before it vanished into the darkness.

"No...Eric!!! ERIC!!!" I called out to him. He didn't even say goodbye?! I turned to Andrew and Marcus, frowning, trying to catch my breath.

"Aria...welcome." Andrew's warm tone met my ears and instantly made me feel slightly better. Marcus didn't say a word but kept staring at me - a weird smirk on his face.

I nodded in response and followed them as they walked away from the tracks.  As we came into view of the main Abnegation area Andrew turned to me.

"Sorry Aria, but there are preparations I must attend to. If you will excuse me - Marcus will help you to get settled." He bowed his head slightly as he and the others left. Marcus turned to me and smirked again.

"Right this way Miss Kane..."

I didn't like him.

"So how is my son?"

What?? I looked at him confused.

"Tobias?" he encouraged.

"I don't know anyone called Tobias. Sorry." I said bluntly.

"Ah...that's right...he goes by a different name now.....Four I believe."

I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Four? He's your son?"

Marcus smirked again and turned to me. "You seem surprised Miss Kane...He didn't mention me at all? How strange..."

I didn't say another word as he led thr way through the rows of modest homes belonging to the Abnegation members. We entered a slightly larger home and Marcus closed the door behind us.

"Now, you best get rid of those Dauntless clothes. You stick out too much"

I pull off my jacket and jeans and hand them over to Marcus as he still stares creepily.

"Right this way Miss...I'll show you to your room."

I followed him down a set of steps...a little concerned about the location of my so called 'room'.

As we reached the bottom of the stairs, he signalled to an open door and I slowly walked towards the room. As soon as my feet crossed the threshold, the door slammed shut behind me and I heard Marcus laugh.

"How gullable can you be? Janine will be very please when she sees you!"

"Let me out!!! Marcus!!! You can't do this!!"

I heard him chuckle from behind the door "I think you will find I already have"

His laughter faded away and he was gone. I was alone. In the pitch black with only my thoughts and steadily growing panic.

My mind flicked to Eric and I wondered if he knew what was going to happen. Was this all part of the plan? My head ached and my eyes were beginning to adjust to the light. A drab mattress was strewn on the floor but apart from that the tiny room was empty.

What the hell...."HELP ME!!! PLEASE! SOMEONE LET ME OUT!!!"

I shouted for a long time before my throat became hoarse.

No one was coming...

**Sorry it's been sooooo long since I've updated. No excuse really I just got major writers block but I'm trying to update as much as I can from now on. Thanks so much for reading! I love reading your comments so please vote and comment. Thank you so much again! mwah xx**