Chapter 31 - Eric's POV

Seeing her fall like that, being helpless. It made my heart ache. God, listen to me. 'Made my heart ache'.

Who have I become?!

This girl has completely changed me - and I'm not sure I am ready for that...but then again I did ask her to marry me. She looked at me and I could see the confusion in her face as I turned and walked away. But I needed to get my head straight.

Of course I loved her. I've been a mess the past few days without her, but I can't forget who I am. That is what makes people vulnerable. And I, will never be vulnerable.

I headed back to my apartment, slamming shut the door behind me. I paced the apartment, shoving the books that lay unsuspecting on the table, onto the floor. I sat down on the sofa, my head in my hands, trying to calm myself down when there was a faint knock on the door.

For gods sake - why won't people leave me alone.

"Go away!!" I shouted out, but a few seconds later they knocked again.

I growled and got up, marching across the room and flinging open the door.

A petite blonde stood in front of me.

"What do you want Lydia?"

"I just came to check on you - we've been friends for years ya know" She said and I shrugged - walking away from the door. She followed me into the apartment and closed the door carefully behind her.

"So what's going on? I heard you and Aria aren't going too well?" She said, brazenly.

I turned and looked at her, rage rising inside me.

"That is none of your business" I replied, walking back towards her.

"Oh Eric...you know you can talk to me about anything...even that!" A sly smirk crossed across her lips, it made me even angrier. I continued towards her, the gap between us closing.

"I said, it's none of your business." I said, through gritted teeth.

"But I'm always here for you" She was now stood right in front of me - almost touching.

"Lydia, I strongly suggest you leave."

She moved even closer, running one hand up my arm. I actually couldn't get over the audacity of her! She'd never even hinted at being interested in me before now...not that I would have ever been interested in her.

I shrugged her off and moved back.

"Lydia, you need to leave."

She smirked again, moving closer still.

"Eric....come on. We both know that little Amity girl was never right for you. You need to be with a true Dauntless girl. Someone who understands you."

I walked away again. Jesus this girl was persistent. I could never do that to Aria though. No matter how confused I felt.

I went to the front door and opened it.

"Lydia, just go. Don't make me go get your brother." I stood against the open door, making it clear that I wanted her to leave.

She took the hint and walked over towards the doorway, stopping just in front of me and reaching up, wrapping one hand round my neck and kissing me.

I pushed her off me - but it was too late. I looked behind her to see Aria stood there, my hoody in her hand.

"I...um....I just came to give this back" She said, handing the jumper back to me and turning quickly.

"Aria!! wait!"

Lydia walked in front of me, blocking my exit. "Oops..." she smirked, before finally leaving.

I slammed shut the door and raced down the corridor, finally catching up to Aria.

"Ari..wait...please." I grabbed her arm and she spun round, fighting me off, with tears staining her cheeks.

"Seriously Eric, just don't. Have we not been through enough?! Is it still too boring for you?!"

"No!! She just kissed me! I swear!! I don't even like the girl!! Please..."

She shook her head sadly and walked away from me.

I followed her again but her sad silence made me stop.

Why can nothing ever go right?!!!