Chapter 20: Dustin Hates Cats

Tatum

We barely reached the final ledge before shifting and landing to the forest floor, my paws grinding in the dirt as if they hadn't touched it for a month yet it had only been an hour before.

Dustin shot off into the trees with no warning but the message was clear enough 'Hurry your ass up'.

I stumbled for my first few steps before I took off to a dead sprint meeting him for his pace, dodging trees and logs as well as I could.

''You're blind aren't you?'' Dustin's big furry head turned to mine for a second before turning forward again, the link we were sharing cut short when I bumped into a tree on my left.

I shook my head and kept running, a huff of frustration coming from the wolf behind me, opting to piss me off by running up my left side and ramming me to the floor.

''Don't be an idiot oh great and powerful alpha to be. You're fucking blind and if you don't admit it I'm going to keep doing this until you accept that fact and stop playing indifferent. You're scaring your mate!''

''I've accepted it.'' I got to my feet and continued walking on, leaving Dustin to catch up to me.

Earlier

''You're blind aren't you?'' My father stood only a few steps in front of me as he stared at my face switching his gaze between my right and left eye, his brows creasing whenever his eyes fell upon my damaged one.

I could only nod my head as my jumbled vision between colour and a dark grey almost black fought for dominance. My whole left side of vision had become this monotone world or darkness. My sense of surroundings was almost zero and my senses were on alert at my new weak spot.

''You'll still challenge me.'' His eyes narrowed as he squared his shoulders.

''A blind wolf as Alpha, sir?'' I watched him closely as he moved to my blind spot which now was my whole left side.

''Yes.'' I heard as his foot lifted off of the ground a second before my left knee dropped to the floor, a heavy pain behind my knee from where it had been knocked.

''Accept it or you'll have no use for a mate that came from Alpha lines.'' He left without another word; my eyes growing wide at the thought of my mate begin mated off to someone else if I was to lose my rank.

Now

''If you've accepted it. Get used to it. Race me.'' He didn't wait for my answer as he shot off yet again into the dense forestry.

It reminded me of when we were kids and his stubborn attitude was 'play with me or I'll make your life a living hell of bitching and whining'.

My wolf growled at the challenge and chased after the childish fool. We hadn't done this since we were close; childhood wasn't the end of our games. Dustin insisted on being childish for...well he still was.

''You're getting slow oh powerful one.''

''Not as slow as you.'' I increased my speed, narrowing my eyes to differentiate between grey and colour, shadows and tones.

We ran for several minutes before a strange scent caught my nose. My pace slowed to a walk as did Dustin's when his wolf caught my side.

''This is where it happened.'' His chest rose and fell with breaths as he scanned the upturned leaves. ''I found a couple of rogues here fighting another wolf, looked a lot like our mystery wolf but his smell, it was weird.''

''Blood?'' I trotted over to a patch of leaves clumped by blood.

''It's fresh and doesn't smell putrid like a rogue's would, but it doesn't smell quite wolf. What is it?''